Published: June 1, 2012 By

artistic book pages

Celebrate summer by taking some time for yourself and reading a book. To assist in compiling your summer reading list, a handful of professors and alumni who have been featured in the Coloradan during the past year have shared their favorite books. From heart-stopping thriller novels to modern classics, here’s what has occupied their nightstands.

Howard Schultz (Comm’75), reality TV producer: “This may sound a bit crazy, but I would have to say A Course in Miracles (Foundation for Inner Peace) by Dr. Helen Schuman is my favorite book. I made a commitment to myself not to move ahead in the book until I completely understood what I read. It is a very difficult read, but in the end it had a profound effect upon my life.”
Neal Beidleman (MechEngr’81), world-class mountaineer: “It’s an old book many have read, but my favorite book of all time is perhaps The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Dover Publications) by Mark Twain. I read it a long time ago, went back recently and read it again. Awesome.”
Professor Lucy Pao, wind energy engineer: “My favorite book that I have recently read is The Help (Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam) by Kathryn Stockett. It is extremely well written and drew me in right from page 1. I wish I could write like that. Despite a really busy semester, I looked forward to reading this book 20-30 minutes every night, even though I probably needed my sleep more!”
Phil Lobel (A&S ex’79), Hollywood publicist: “One of my most captivating, escapist reads is by Dan Brown. His Angels & Demons (Pocket Books) was even better than theDaVinci Code (Anchor). I couldn’t put it down, reading into the wee hours of the morning after starting it on the beach in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. For a work of fiction and foreign intrigue, intertwined with historical facts and Brown’s creative license, it’s hard to beat!”
Chancellor Philip P. DiStefano: “I just finished reading Stephen King’s 11-22-63: The Novel (Scribner) about a young English teacher living today who finds a way to go back in time to prevent the assassination of President Kennedy. It is a great read.”
Professor Tin Tin Su, cancer researcher: “Pride and Prejudice (Norton Critical Editions) by Jane Austen is my favorite because of Austen’s wit and because of the timeless issues the book deals with such as snobbery and parents wanting their children to do well.