At this time, Animal Care internships will resume in Summer 2021. Recruitment for Summer 2021 Animal Care internships will begin in February 2021. Please check back in February to apply.
Denver Zoo offers non-paid Animal Care Internships annually. Most Animal Care Internship opportunities are available in time periods roughly equivalent to college semesters. Internship opportunities are also based on staff capacity therefore not all departments will always offer an internship opportunity at all times. For example, Tropical Discovery may have 2 Internships in the summer but none in the fall. Applicants will have three weeks to submit their applications from the time the Internship opportunity is posted on the Denver Zoo careers website. Due to the large number of applications that are received only applicants who are the most qualified will be contacted directly for additional information. Others will receive email updates regarding their status.
LENGTH AND HOUR REQUIREMENTS
Animal Care Interns may participate on a full time or part-time basis.
Full Time: 32 to 40 Hours per week to be completed within 12 to 16 weeks
Part Time: At least 200 Hours to be completed within 6 months.
Denver Zoo Animal Care Internships can be completed for credit but do not have to be. Please note that applicants who are selected may not participate in more than one internship at a time. In addition, each applicant is limited to completing two Denver Zoo Animal Care Internships, total. Internships may not be repeated in the same department.
Denver Zoo is a drug-free workplace and all potential employees and interns are subject to a background check and drug screen prior to beginning their positions.
If selected all applicants must be able to provide proof of a valid negative TB test. Denver Zoo will work with applicants to obtain this prior to their start date if needed.
COLLEGE INTERN APPLICANT QUALIFICATIONS:
- Applicants should be students currently enrolled in a relevant college program.
- Recent college graduates (within the last two years) may apply for an internship.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Applicants selected to become Interns must work with Denver Zoo to provide proof of a current negative TB test, prior to the start of an Internship
ADDITIONAL INTERNSHIP INFORMATION:
- All applicants must apply online and include a cover letter.
- Both full time and part time internships are available depending on department needs.
- Housing is not provided.
- Letters of recommendation may be submitted, but are not required.
- Animal Care Internships are posted according to a yearly timetable. Non-Animal Care Internship Opportunities may also be available and will be posted when possible.
- This is a very competitive program, not all those who apply will be selected for an interview.
Denver Zoo is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our staff and guests. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations, drug and alcohol screening, reference verification and reasonable validation of information provided on the Internship application.
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Find out more: https://www.denverzoo.org/internships/