In-person commissioning event at Wings Over the Rockies in Denver and presented via zoom for those unable to attend – May 7, 2021:
The University of Colorado Boulder Army ROTC Department Commissioned another fourteen Cadets on Friday, May 7th during the end of the 2021 spring semester. The ceremony was held in-person at the Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum located at the former Lowry Air Force Base in Denver. The ceremony was also presented via a Zoom Meeting for those friends and family members that were unable to attend in-person. The museum event space under COVID-19 guidelines allowed for 175 attendees to participate in the ceremony.
The emcee for the days event was Captain Tavon Cooper. The ceremony began with the playing of the National Anthem followed by opening remarks given by Lieutenant Colonel Mark Van Gelder. The special guest speaker for the event was Brigadier General Scott M. Sherman. Sherman’s speech tapped into various responsibilities these newly Second Lieutenant’s will be facing at their first assignment. He shared many of his past experiences and ended with some poignant words of wisdom.
The Cadets were then officially sworn in as Second Lieutenants with the Oath of Office being administered. Friends and family assisted the 2LTs by pinning on their rank to their uniform. And the traditional first “Silver Dollar Salute” was given by MSG Evan Reed or SFC Nathan Cohen.
The sixteen Cadets that are now officially Second Lieutenant’s in the United States Army, are as follows (alphabetical order):
1. 2LT Benjamin Antonsen – from Elizabeth, Colorado, majored in Business Administration with emphasis in Operations Management and commissioned into the Military Intelligence detail Armor
2. 2LT William Ascik – from Aurora, Colorado, majored in Environmental Studies, plus a minor in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology / Leadership Studies and commissioned into the Military Police
3. 2LT Michael David Boyles – from Tulsa, Oklahoma, majored in International Affairs and commissioned into Armor
4. 2LT Andrew Cooper – from Yardley, Pennsylvania, majored in Business Administration with emphasis in Operations Management, plus a minor in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences and commissioned into Infantry
5. 2LT Emily Cosgrove – from Cumberland, Maryland, majored in Geology and commissioned into Armor
6. 2LT Jacob Feibusch – from Kings Park, New York, majored in Integrative Physiology and commissioned into Signal Corps
7. 2LT John Fisher – from Woodland Park, Colorado, majored in International Affairs with emphasis in Russian Language/Culture and commissioned into Aviation
8. 2LT Nadia Kerman – from Cardington, Ohio, majored in Neuroscience and Psychology and commissioned into the Signal Corp detail Infantry
9. 2LT Lisa Landwehr – from Fort Collins, Colorado, majored in Neuroscience and Psychology, plus a minor in Chinese and commissioned into Ordinance
10. 2LT Brendan Mulcahy – from Boise, Idaho, majored in Political Science and commissioned into Air Defense Artillery
11. 2LT Madison Noyes – from El Paso, Texas, majored in Business Administration with emphasis in Finance and commissioned into Aviation
12. 2LT Nicholas Pantlin – from Cary, North Carolina, majored in Communications and commissioned into Armor
13. 2LT Richard Park – from Aurora, Colorado, majored in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and commissioned into Armor
14. 2LT Buhm Song – from Colorado Springs, Colorado, majored in International Affairs and commissioned into Air Defense Artillery
Congratulations to our new Second Lieutenants. May your new experiences with the U.S. Army be as rich and fulfilling as they were here at CU-Boulder.