You are here

General Information

Email Policy

Email is an official means of communication with students from CU-Boulder administrators and faculty. All students are issued a no-cost CU-Boulder email account and are expected to check their messages on a frequent and consistent basis in order to stay current with university-related communications.

In addition, Summer Session students are required to follow all University of Colorado policies including the Colorado Creed and the Copyright and File Sharing. A complete list can be found in the University of Colorado Boulder Catalog.

Photo ID (Buff OneCard)

The Buff OneCard is your official student ID, to be used as long as you are a student at CU-Boulder. The card is official verification that you are eligible for student privileges. It allows you access to Campus Dining and Printing, the Student Recreation Center, the libraries, Wardenburg Health Center, the UMC Grill, athletic tickets and events, and RTD local and regional buses.

Your first Buff OneCard is paid for when you pay the new student matriculation fee. Replacement cards cost $25 each. If you are a registered nondegree student, you may purchase a Buff OneCard for $25. Note: Effective July 1, 2014, the cost for replacements cards and Buff OneCards for nondegree students will increase to $30.

The Campus Card Office is located in the Center for Community, Room N180, just east of Regent Hall, and is open from 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.

To report a lost or stolen card 24 hours a day, call 303-492-1212 immediately to avoid unauthorized use of your card. Never give or lend your Buff OneCard to anyone else.

For more information visit the Buff OneCard website or call 303-492-0355.

Veteran Services

The Veteran Services Office serves the needs of veterans and military affiliated students on campus. The office provides “one-stop shopping” for everything from information on and processing of veteran educational benefits to personal counseling and program information. Veteran Services supplements other campus units by placing special emphasis on the recruitment and retention of veterans at CU-Boulder. The office is located on the fourth floor of the Center for Community in room S482. For more information visit the Veterans Services website, send an email to, or call 303-492-7322.

Residency Classification

For tuition purposes, new students are classified as either resident (in-state) or nonresident (out-of-state) on the basis of information provided on their application for admission and tuition classification form. If your parents do not live in Colorado, and if you will not be 23 years of age by the first day of class for the session for which you are applying, you will most likely have to submit a petition for in-state classification (see address below).

Petitioning for In-State Classification

Current or former CU-Boulder students who believe they are eligible for a change to resident status, must submit a petition with documentation. For the necessary petition forms and an explanation of the Colorado tuition classification statute, or if you have questions about your status as an resident or nonresident student, call 303-492-0907, visit the Registrar's Office Residency and Tuition Classification website, send an email to, or write to:

Tuition Classification
University of Colorado Boulder
20 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0020

If you are a student at another CU campus, address your inquiries to the appropriate Office of the Registrar.

Be prepared to pay your tuition and fee bill in full by the tuition and fee payment deadline. If residency is approved after this date, you will receive a refund.

Further information on tuition, fees, and deposits is available from the Bursar’s Office, 303-492-5381. The Board of Regents reserves the right to change tuition without notice.

Parking and Transportation

Parking permits are available for vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds, and scooters. Maymester permits are available for purchase at the Parking and Transportation Services Business Office located on the main campus at 1050 Regent Drive. Please check for updates on the Parking and Transportation Services website.

Visitor/Short-term Parking

Parking payment machines and meters are available throughout campus. Pay-by-phone parking is available through Parkmobile. Simply download the smartphone app, look for the green signs at parking payment machines, and never use a payment machine again! Many visitor parking lots on campus, incuding Euclid AutoPark (EAP), have a flat fee on weekends and weekdays after 5 pm. Night and weekend am/pm permits may be purchased for those who need parking outside of normal business hours. view the Campus Parking map for specific information.


Fee-paying students can ride any of the local or regional buses, including the light rail, and the SkyRide to and from Denver International Airport. To purchase a discounted bus pass for the summer, call 303-492-8308. View the bus schedules.


Summer is the perfect time to ride a bike in Colorado! Be sure to register your bike online; registration is free and grants you access to the bike station services. For bike registration and summer hours call 303-735-2705.

For more information visit the parking and transportation website, call the PTS Business Office at 303-492-7834, or e-mail

Confidentiality of Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA deals specifically with the education records of students, affording them certain rights with respect to those records.

FERPA gives college students the right to inspect their own education records and prohibits school officials from disclosing personally identifiable information about students to third parties without written permission from the student unless such action is covered by exceptions permitted by the Act.

View the University of Colorado Boulder’s FERPA policy.

Disability Services

Students who require accommodation must contact Disability Services for an evaluation. If you qualify for an accommodation because of a disability, please submit the letter from Disability Services to your instructor at the beginning of the class so that your needs may be addressed. Disability Services determines accommodations based on documented disabilities. Visit the Disability Services website for more information, contact them at 303-492-8671, or visit their office in the Center for Community, Room N200.