Students wishing to restrict the release of directory information must place limited or full privacy on their education records by visiting the Office of the Registrar with photo identification to complete the written request.

Full Privacy Status

If you elect full privacy status, no information about you will be released to the general public unless one of the FERPA exceptions applies. This means that the university will not:

  • Acknowledge to any third party that you are or were in attendance at the university, including potential employers. University staff who receive external inquiries about you will respond, "We have no information about that individual."
  • Include information about you in campus directories or telephone directory assistance.
  • Provide your name or any other information about you to off-campus requestors.

This also means that you will not be listed in university announcements regarding honors or awards nor in commencement materials, including but not limited to commencement ceremony programs, press releases or other graduation-related materials.

FERPA Full Privacy/Nondisclosure of Directory Information Request

Limited Privacy Status

If you elect limited privacy status, only limited directory information will be released about you unless one of the FERPA exceptions applies. The designation of limited privacy status will prevent the release of your name and contact information to third party requestors.

FERPA Limited Privacy Directory Information Request

Full and Limited Privacy and Approved Third Parties

Students on full or limited privacy can still authorize access to their education record for parents or third parties through FERPA Consent to Release. Make sure your designated third parties know the unique password you set for them when you established FERPA consent; it is not the same as your security passphrase.

Change Your Privacy Status

The only way to revoke or change your privacy status is in person, so students are encouraged to remove full and limited privacy from their record before leaving CU. To do so, visit the Office of the Registrar with photo identification to complete the written request.