You are here

Housing Options

Finding reasonably priced housing in Boulder is a challenge. There are many options in housing that you can explore—and don't be surprised if it takes a while before you can find something that you like as well as can afford! We list below some of the options you have for housing in Boulder.

University Residence Halls Many undergraduates choose to live in CU-Boulder’s residence halls. They are located on campus, come with meal plans and, therefore, are a convenient place to live. Most rooms are double rooms, and all have wireless internet access and a combination microwave oven/freezer/refrigerator. As such, residence hall spaces are in great demand, and fill up quickly.

Please note: University residence halls are for students only. Scholars will generally not be able to get space in the residence halls.

How to apply: You can apply for a room in a residence hall online at, but you must have your CU login name and IdentiKey password.

**You will get your student identification number in your official letter of acceptance from the Office of Admissions. Your PIN (personal identification number) will be sent to you by the Office of Information Technology (OIT). You may have to wait to apply for housing online until you have your student identification number and your personal identification number.** 

To activate your IdentiKey password, go to MyCUInfo. Log in with your PIN and student identification number to set your password. If you have difficulty with this process, email the Housing & Dining Services Reservation Center                                 

If you have difficulties applying for a residence hall room online, or you prefer to complete a paper application, you may request an application be mailed to your home address by contacting the Reservation Center at Return your completed application as quickly as possible.

University Graduate and Family Housing Graduate and Family Housing consists of several apartment complexes located north and east of campus. One- and two-bedroom apartments are for married students, and studio-style apartments (i.e., one-room quarters) are for single students. There is usually a very long wait due to high demand, so apply early. The application for graduate and family housing is separate from that of the residence halls. For further information, contact the Graduate and Family Housing Office at 1350 20th Street, Boulder, CO 80302, call 303-492-6384, or email

Off-Campus Rooms and Apartments

Allow plenty of time before the start of your program to search for housing off-campus because rooms and apartments can be difficult to find and areoften expensive. 

The Off-Campus Housing and Neighborhood Relations Office maintains listings of off-campus rental properties and provides helpful resources including local maps, furniture rental information, and other materials related to living off campus. The office is funded by student fees so they may charge a fee to scholars seeking their assistance and they may not be able to assist you in some cases depending on the inquiry. Below is a list of resources to help you with your housing search:

It is important to remember that the initial costs of living off campus may be rather high. In most cases you have to submit a damage deposit (which is usually the amount of the rent of one month) in addition to the first month’s rent. Moreover, in most cases utilities are extra, so you may need to pay for gas, electricity, water, telephone, etc., as well as your rent. Be sure you find out how much your total cost will come to every month before signing any contracts.