There are different regions and chapters of NSBE all over the U.S. Our chapter falls under region 6, which includes most of the west coast & mid-west chapters. We get the opportunity to network and meet other members and to get potential internship/job opportunities at our Fall Regional Conference. The national convention is also held ever year in the spring, which is the largest NSBE convention with over thousands of students and professionals alike.
"The Annual Convention showcases black students and professionals who have a passion for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), who are high achievers in these fields and who are channeling their dedication to advance their communities and society at large. #NSBE44 will attract more than 10,000 aspiring and practicing engineers, educators and representatives of more than 200 academic institutions, government agencies, corporations and nonprofit organizations."
National Society of Black Engineers was founded by undergraduates with a faculty advisor.It was founded at Purdue University in 1975.It was created to fix the attrition by minorities, and by the end of its first year 32 schools and 48 students had joined NSBE.
Now NSBE has over 30,000 members, 2,000 elected leadership positions and 18 regional conferences all over the country. It now has 242 collegiate student chapters, 82 pre-college programs, and 70 professional chapters.NSBE also is partners with cooperations like Boeing,General Motors, Ball Aerospace, etc.
- Consists of High School Out Reach - which is designed to recruit students right before they begin their college career and have them consider engineering as a career path.
- The NSBE Jr chapter is designed to target students in before high school to encourage them to study engineering and help them discover how engineering is used in the real world.
- Seek is a summer engineering experience for kids which consists of two camps located in Denver, Colorado. This program has engineering students in college teach young children in elementary school about engineering.
- This is the college part of NSBE which consists of chapters across the globe, region as well as across the zone.
- There are many chapters all over the country here in the United States where there are Six Regions across all the chapters.
- The College chapter is the bridge that connects the new engineers and the professionals and that's when we set up the possible NSBE professionals.
- This group consists of Alumni from the various chapters and regions all over the world.
- It also consists of the various industries that we are partnered with and that help us create some of the best engineers in the world.
- Another group is the professional chapters which consist of the alumni and the people part of the elected members of NSBE.
- Finally, we have special interest groups which target the various degrees in engineering as well as gender amongst engineers. These groups help include the various people that have specified areas they want to study like energy or chemicals.