A great way to get involved in the Neuroscience field is to participate in research. This may seem daunting at first but can be very interesting and you may be surprised by what you discover. In order to obtain a position in a lab, follow these 5 simple steps:
- Start by visiting the list of labs related to Psychology and Neuroscience - pick a few that interest you! The link to the list of labs can be found below.
- Send an email to the primary investigators of the labs explaining who you are and why you would like to be involved in their research.
- Wait for responses. Do not be discouraged if you do not gain a position right away. Many times, labs are full and cannot accept additional volunteers.
- Sometimes, you will be put on a wait-list. Be patient, a spot will open up eventually. When it does, be quick to respond. The quicker you are, the more likely you will be chosen over other applicants!
- Be diligent in your lab work. Like anything else, you will gain just as much as you invest. This is also a great time to build relationships with faculty members who will happily write letters of recommendations for you later!