Learning Assistants Strengthen their understanding through teaching others

Skylar Edwards | Photos by Gabe Rodriguez & Skylar Edwards

In the field of engineering, collaboration is essential. An aerospace engineer cannot launch a rocket without the help of their fellow colleagues to confirm trajectory calculations and test the system for error. Likewise, a civil engineer would not build a house without confirming the blueprints with the architects. It is necessary in the field of engineering to work together in teams to accomplish tasks and reduce the possibility of error. One of the ways CU Boulder encourages such peer collaboration and team building is through the Learning Assistant program.

Learning Assistants are undergraduate students who are employed to help facilitate classroom engagement and active learning amongst their fellow peers. Their primary task is to help undergraduate students who are struggling with daily coursework and labs, not just by reteaching material, but also by providing resources and showing students how to make connections between old and new material. Research shows that their work is highly beneficial to students, as these programs have been correlated with increased retention rates and higher scores on assignments and exams. But there is also a benefit for LAs. While working with their peers and helping them to make connections, LAs themselves are learning the material in different and deeper ways, and so the work is a genuine collaboration. Research shows that implementing the Learning Assistant program in STEM-based classes increases both the students and the LAs understanding of the course material.

In my experience as a Physics LA, I have reinforced and strengthened my understanding of the material. In addition to this, I also enjoy being able to share my passion for and knowledge of the subject with other students. Antonio Narro, a second-year Computer Science major assisting in Engineering Math said, similarly, “I find helping others to be satisfying, a smile after I have helped a student motivates me to continue pursuing being a learning assistant.”

LA students also gain paid professional and mentoring experience that can help them be more competitive in their pursuit of internships and careers. I personally have learned skills such as managing teams and improving my time management skills, which will play a role in my future and will improve my resume.

In the first semester of the program, learning assistants are required to take a Learning Assistant Pedagogy course, which helps prepare LAs to work successfully with professors to encourage active learning in the classroom. Participants learn numerous skills such as how to promote a growth mindset, various study methods and how to encourage peer collaboration in and out of the classroom.

Participants also meet with faculty to prepare for upcoming classes and talk about the challenges that students might face in the upcoming week. Being an LA thus gives students the opportunity to network with faculty and students within their field.

In the weekly class, LAs are also grouped with mentors, who communicate past experience and problem solving methods.

“Through the LA pedagogy course and through my experience in assisting in the classroom I have gained experience in dealing with problems,” Narro said. “In this job, there is a lot of problem solving not just with academics but with personal problems as well … Some of the challenges I have faced are when students resist the help of the staff [for example].” Mentors help participants to navigate such difficulties so they can actually connect with the students. “As an LA we have to make sure students are their best self to promote learning,” Narro said.

Being an LA encourages daily problem solving skills and participants are continuously improving and helping guide their fellow peers to be better. In the field of engineering it can be challenging and difficult to manage by oneself. It is therefore important that we communicate with each other and help one another improve for the benefit of our future. This is a truly collaborative effort.

As an LA I want to see students succeed in their work; I want to help students understand why the material is important and relevant because the material will be the foundation of their education and A LESSON ON their future in the STEM field.