Published: Oct. 31, 2023

Many students have a lot to balance with schoolwork, extracurriculars and other responsibilities that arise near the end of the semester. 

Amid all that stress, decisions that violate the Student Code of Conduct can occur. For example, underage drinking, disputes among individuals or unreasonable noise can lead to violations. 

CU Boulder has resources to help students navigate these challenging situations and grow from their experiences. Here are positive steps you can take if you find yourself in trouble. 

Engage with the Office of Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution

Students can be referred to Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution (SCCR) for an alleged violation of the Code of Conduct on or off campus. Anyone can refer a student to SCCR if they believe there was a violation. Boulder Police Department and CU Police Department also refer students to SCCR. 

When SCCR receives a referral, they email the referred student a resolution meeting letter which includes instructions on how to sign up for a meeting. This letter is not a penalty or sentencing. It is an opportunity for you to work with SCCR to reflect on and repair any harm caused when you may have violated the Code of Conduct. The letter invites you to meet with a resolution specialist who can help you through the conduct process. 

The resolution meeting is a chance to tell your side of the story. The student conduct process treats students fairly and openly and follows due process. If you are found responsible for violating the Student Code of Conduct, you may be assigned resolution outcomes such as:  

  • Educational classes.  
  • Restorative justice. 
  • Other outcomes that impact your student status at CU.

Know that your resolution specialist is there to help

Resolution specialists are an excellent resource. They can guide you through the conduct process and help you reflect on the incident.  

The resolution team is open to discussing the conduct process and policies to ensure students feel prepared and comfortable. The meeting with your resolution specialist is also a great time to address specific questions about navigating the Code of Conduct moving forward. 

Resolution specialists help determine if resources are available on campus or in the Boulder community that can assist you in creating a personal plan to minimize or eliminate harm in the future. The specialists can connect you with educational opportunities through on-campus partners such as: 

Take that next step to go beyond what’s required of you to repair any harm caused

The CU Restorative Justice Program (CURJ) helps empower students to repair harm and make things right. The program’s goal is to help students recognize that their mistakes impacted more people than just themselves. Plus, should you be referred to CURJ during the conduct process, you will have a say in what you can do to repair harm.  

Restorative justice allows you to share your story with others in the community. This can include your hall director, resident advisor, roommate, friends, classmates, professors, instructors, off-campus neighbors or volunteers who work with CURJ. Together, you and those impacted address the harms of your actions and develop a plan to make things right. 

There are endless ways that you can go about repairing harm. Some examples include: 

  • Delivering care packages to neighbors. 
  • Volunteering at food banks. 
  • Supporting Buff Pantry. 
  • Writing letters of apology and appreciation. 
  • Sharing your story with your friends and classmates. 

Even if you were not referred to CURJ, you can still take similar steps to repair harm in a safe and healthy way. You can continue to reflect on your actions to determine if there are additional impacts you want to address with friends and family or the greater campus and Boulder communities. 

You can also get involved with CURJ to support your peers during difficult times. Students can volunteer as community representatives, train as facilitators or intern with CURJ. Anyone interested in those opportunities should email  

If you have questions about the conduct process, email