Published: July 30, 2021

A new school year is around the corner and the opportunities to connect are endless. As you consider your options, check out what Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) at CU has to offer. There are many benefits that can come from being part of a chapter at CU. Whether you want to stay focused on school, grow future career opportunities or be part of a lifelong community, participating in fraternity and sorority recruitment can open a world of possibilities.

We talked to some students who are part of Greek life to learn how their experience has transformed aspects of their college journey. Here’s what they had to say. 

Academic excellence

One of the most important elements of participating in a fraternity or sorority is the high academic standards you are held to, both by your chapter and by the university. Most require a minimum of 2.5 GPA each semester in order to remain in good academic standing. Some require a higher GPA if you wish to take on a leadership role, as Alondra Carlos-Ferrales tells us: “In Pi Lambda Chi Latina Sorority, elected officers must have and maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA in order to remain eligible for status on the executive board.” 

Your chapter wants to see you succeed and will provide the resources to help you make that happen. “Sisters will receive academic support from our intellectual development VP so that they can continue to improve in their school work,” says Makenzie teVelde, who is a member of Alpha Chi Omega. Some chapters even reward students who take advantage of this support. Calahan Wilson, a brother in Phi Delta Theta, tells us “if we are on campus studying, we can log those hours and earn points for them, and points are later used for different perks throughout the year.” 

Leadership experience

Being part of a sorority or fraternity also opens the door for leadership opportunities within and outside of your chapter. Pushing yourself to step out of your comfort zone can feel intimidating, but well worth your experience.

For Nic Mayhan, vice president of Phi Delta Theta, his role allowed him to step up as a leader. He shared that “learning how to manage people, plan events and work outside of your comfort zone are key lessons that I would not have learned outside of a leadership opportunity.” 

Carlos-Ferrales was vice president of her chapter for the first time last year. “It was very different from my previous positions. I was a bit nervous going into this position since I am more introverted but it was good to push outside of my comfort zone.” She also became the events chair for the Multicultural Greek Council. She’s not the only one making strides; teVelde became vice president of recruitment information as a sophomore in her chapter. “After I finished my time on my chapter’s executive board, I knew I wanted to continue to positively impact my chapter and community overall, so I applied to be on the Panhellenic Board.” Starting her junior year, teVelde is now the director of civic engagement and proud of the positions she’s held.

Career opportunities

Being part of Greek life at CU not only helps you develop as a student but can connect you with opportunities after graduation. 

For teVelde, the resources available to her through her sorority are something she doesn’t take for granted. “I have advisors willing to write me recommendations, I have spruced up my business wardrobe due to chapter formals and so many career-centered workshops that have prepared me for the real world.” Being part of a chapter may also lead to future employment opportunities. “Oftentimes older sisters will post about a job opening in our group page to give sisters some opportunities that they might otherwise not have found,” says Carlos-Ferrales.

Not to mention the set of skills you actually get to practice while being part of your chapter. Wilson has had the opportunity to do just that. “From working with a team day-in and day-out, to focusing on my designated task, to communicating effectively with my team about my performance on my tasks, to speaking in front of the chapter and communicating my success and more … it is by far one of the most helpful experiences in my college career.” Students who participate in a sorority or fraternity can gain skills and abilities to help them be better leaders after graduation.

Community and life after graduation

When you join a sisterhood or brotherhood, you’re not just joining a chapter, you’re joining a lifelong community. 

Joining a sorority or fraternity will automatically connect you with people who are looking to find their home at CU. As Carlo-Ferrales tells us, “we all joined [Pi Lambda Chi] under the common values of preserving Latina/o culture and creating a support system for women of color.”

With so many chapters, there is one that could be right for you! You shouldn’t expect to have all of the same interests as the other chapter members; what matters is the commitment to the community you get to be a part of. “Not everyone is similar, but we are all committed to brotherhood and will always be there for each other. It is an incredible support system that I can lean on whenever I need it, which I am so grateful for having,” says Mayhan.

The community you build goes beyond your chapter. “I even have met plenty of women from other chapters that I am now really great friends with too, which is so much fun for when you get to have date dashes or other events with different chapters,” says teVelde. Fraternity and sorority life can open the door for academic achievement, leadership and career opportunities, lifelong friendships and new ways to make your college experience a memorable one.