Story behind the recipe: I found this recipe on the internets (reddit). It was just called THE SOUP because people love it. So I had to try it. And guess what, I also love it. And I wanted to share it with you all in the hopes that it brings some joy to someone's life.
Description of the dish: Hearty, delicious, creamy and tasty soup that takes no work and is so satisfying as a meal.
This recipe makes 8 servings.
Time to prep: 15 minutes
Time to cook: 4-6 hours in the slow cooker
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups frozen cheese tortellini (or you can use fresh)
- 3 cups packed spinach (you can definitely add more than this if you want)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup half and half
- In a microwave-safe bowl add the onions, flour, basil, garlic, tomato paste and drizzle with olive oil.
- Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds or so. (The mixture will be pasty and look weird but don’t worry it will all be okay in the end). Add the mixture to the slow cooker*.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours (or until chicken is very tender).
- Remove the lid use a fork to remove the chicken out of the slow cooker. And add in tortellini and spinach, Parmesan cheese and warmed cream (cream should be warmed because it may cause curdling if added in cold).
- On a cutting board, shred or cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker. Put the lid back on and cook on HIGH for about 10 more minutes, or until the tortellini are cooked through.
- Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy!
Submitted by: Kati Monday, Leeds School of Business