Build a Better Book (BBB) is pleased to offer high school students the opportunity to participate in an immersive internship and research project focused on using Maker technologies to create accessible materials for blind or visually impaired clients.
Student interns will learn about and complete projects using:
- Universal Design principles and empathy-driven design
- Accessibility tools and designing for disabilities
- Maker Technologies such as 3D modeling and printing, sound, computer programming, laser cutters
- Tactile and multi-modal learning styles
- Characteristics of blindness, vision impairments, and other disabilities
- Job skills and designing for a specific client
This is a four- week internship that runs from June 27th - July 22, 2022. Interns are expected to complete 30-35 hours per week, Monday - Friday (approx. 9 AM - 4PM). The majority of activities will take place on the CU Boulder campus with additional off-site visits. Interns will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the CU campus. Bus transportation is encouraged and RTD bus passes will be provided to interns by request. The internship is open to students currently in high school (rising grades 10-12) and age 14 years or older.
We strongly encourage students from the following backgrounds to apply:
- Underrepresented in science and engineering, including girls, African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native American students
- Underserved, such as coming from low socioeconomic means, which may be indicated by qualification for free/reduced lunch
- Potentially the first family member to attend college
- Absence of science and engineering degrees in family
- Coming from a high school with low admittance rates to top-tier colleges, especially rural or predominantly minority high schools
All applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will be considered, regardless of race or ethnicity.
Accepted interns will receive a stipend of $1400 after successful completion of the program.
Admission to the BBB Teen Internship program is selective and requires an application and a reference from a teacher. Completed applications will be evaluated and decisions made after April 30th. Applicants will be notified the first week of May. THE SUMMER 2022 APPLICATION PERIOD IS CLOSED.