* Co-first author ‡ Undergraduate student mentee
Jang, S-K, LM Evans, and 61 others. Accepted at Nature Human Behavior. Rare variant heritability of smoking from deep whole-genome sequencing of up to 26,000 individuals.
Jami, ES. And 95 others (Evans co-author on consortium paper). Genome-wide association meta-analysis of childhood and adolescent internalizing symptoms. Accepted at Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry. DOI: 10.1016/j.jaac.2021.11.035
Howe, LJ, and 102 others (Evans co-author on consortium paper). Accepted at Nature Genetics. Within-sibship GWAS of 25 phenotypes improve estimates of direct genetic effects.
Evans, LM, S Jang, MA Ehringer, DB Hancock, J Otto, SI Vrieze, MC Keller. 2021. Genetic architecture of four smoking behaviors using partitioned SNP heritability. Addiction. 116(9): 2498-2508. DOI:10.1111/add.15450. PMC8759147
Colbert, SMC‡, S Funkhouser+, EC Johnson, CL Morrison, C Hoeffer, NP Friedman, MA Ehringer, LM Evans. 2021. Novel characterization of the multivariate genetic architecture of internalizing psychopathology and alcohol use. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part B Neuropsychiatric Genetics. 186(6):353-366. DOI:10.1002/ajmg.b.32874. PMC8556277
Ip, HF, and 142 others. (Evans co-author on consortium paper). In press. Genetic association study of childhood aggression across raters, instruments, and age. Translational Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41398-021-01480-x
Adjangba, A‡, R Border, P Romero Villela, MC Keller, MA Ehringer, LM Evans. 2020. Limited evidence of modified genetic susceptibility to tobacco smoking at rs16969968 based on age of onset of regular smoking. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, ntaa229, https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntaa229
- Gouker, FE, CH Carlson, J Zou, LM Evans, CR Crowell, CD Smart, SP DiFazio, LB Smart. Accepted pending minor revision at American Journal of Botany. Sexual dimorphism and sex ratio bias in the dioecious willow, Salix purpurea L. Preprint on BioRxiv: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.04.05.026427
- Bothwell, H, LM Evans, EI Hersch-Green, S Woolbright, G Allan, TG Whitham. Accepted at Ecological Applications. Genetic data improves niche model discrimination and alters the direction and magnitude of climate change forecasts. https://doi.org/10.1002/eap.2254
- Thomas, AL*, LM Evans*, MD Nelsen, EJ Chesler, MS Powers, WC Booher, C Lowry, JD DeFries, MA Ehringer. 2021. Whole genome sequencing of inbred mouse strains selected for high and low open-field activity. Behavior Genetics. 51:68-81. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10519-020-10014-y
- Evans, LM, EC Johnson, WE Melroy-Greif, JK Hewitt, CA Hoeffer, MC Keller, LM Saba, JA Stitzel, MA Ehringer. 2020. The role of a priori-identified addiction and smoking gene sets in smoking behaviors. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 22:1310-1315. https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntaa006. PMID31930296
- Border R, EC Johnson, LM Evans, MC Keller. 2019. Measurement Error Cannot Account for Failed Replications of Historic Candidate Gene-by-Environment Hypotheses: Response to Vrshek-Schallhorn et al. The American Journal of Psychiatry. 176:668-669. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2019.19040374r
- Border R, A Smolen, R Crowley, M Stallings, S Brown, RD Conger, J Derringer, MB Donnellan, BC Haberstick, J Hewitt, C Hopfer, K Krauter, MB McQueen, TL Wall, MC Keller, LM Evans. 2019. Imputation of behavioral candidate gene repeat variants in 486,565 publicly-available UK Biobank individuals. European Journal of Human Genetics. 27:963-969. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41431-019-0349-x. PMID30723318
- Border R, EC Johnson, LM Evans, A Smolen, N Berley, PF Sullivan, MC Keller. 2019. No support for candidate gene or candidate gene-by-interaction hypotheses for major depression across multiple large samples. The American Journal of Psychiatry. 176:376-387. https:// doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2018.18070881. PMC5934350
- Carlson, C, F Gouker, C Crowell, L Evans, S DiFazio, C Smart, L Smart. 2019. Joint linkage and association mapping of complex traits in shrub willow (Salix purpurea L.). Annals of Botany. 124:701-715. DOI:10.1093/aob/mcz047
- Chhetri, HB, D Macaya-Sanz, D Kainer, LM Evans, K Ault, T Rosentiel, SH Strauss, D Jacobson, TJ Tschaplinski, GA Tuskan, SP DiFazio. 2019. Genome-wiide association analysis of Populus trichocarpa identifies key polymorphisms controlling morphological and physiological traits. New Phytologist. 223:293-309. DOI:10.1111/nph.15777.
- Zhou R, Macaya-Sanz D, Rodgers-Melnick E, Carlson CH, Gouker FE, Evans LM, Schmutz J, Jenkins JW, Yan J, Tuskan JA, Smart LB, DiFazio SP. 2018. Characterization of a large sexually dimorphic genome interval in Salix purpurea L. (Salicaceae). Molecular Genetics and Genomics. 293:1473-1452. DOI: 10.1007/s00438-018-1473-y
- Evans, LM, R Tahmasbi, SI Vrieze, G Abecasis, S Das, D Bjelland, T DeCandia, Haplotype Reference Consortium, ME Goddard, BM Neale, J Yang, PM Visscher, MC Keller. 2018 Comparison of methods that use whole genome data to estimate the heritability and genetic architecture of complex traits. Nature Genetics. 50:737-745. DOI: 10.1038/s41588-018-0108-x. PMC5934350
- Evans, LM, R Tahmasbi, SI Vrieze, G Abecasis, S Das, D Bjelland, T DeCandia, Haplotype Reference Consortium, ME Goddard, J Yang, PM Visscher, MC Keller. 2018. Narrow-sense heritability estimation of complex traits using identity-by-descent information. Heredity. 121:616-630. DOI:10.1038/s41437-018-0067-0. PMC6221881.
- Evans, LM, MC Keller. 2018. Correspondence: Using partitioned heritability methods to explore genetic architecture. Nature Reviews Genetics. DOI:10.1038/nrg.2018.6
- Johnson, EC, LM Evans, MC Keller. 2018 Relationship between estimated autozygosity and complex traits in the UK Biobank. PLoS Genetics. 14(7):e1007556. DOI:10.1371/journal.pgen.1007556.
- Chhatre, VE, LM Evans, SP DiFazio, SR Keller. 2018. Adaptive introgression and maintenance of a trispecies hybrid complex in range-edge populations of Populus. Molecular Ecology. 27:4820-4838. DOI: 10.1111/mec.14820
- Xie, M, W Muchero, AC Bryan, K Yee, H-B Guo, J Zhang, TJ Tschaplinski, VR Singan, E Lindquist, RS Payyavula, J Barros-Rios, R Dixon, N Engle, RW Sykes, M Davis, SS Jawdy, LE Gunter, O Thompson, SP DiFazio, LM Evans, K Winkeler, C Collins, J Schmutz, H Guo, U Kalluri, M Rodriguez, K Feng, J-G Chen, GA Tuskan. 2018. A 5-Enolpyruvylshikimate 3-Phosphate Synthase Functions as a Transcriptional Repressor in Populus. The Plant Cell. 30:1645-1660. DOI:10.1105/tpc.18.00168
- Wills, AG, LM Evans, C Hopfer. 2017. Phenotypic and genetic relationship between BMI and drinking in a sample of UK adults. Behavior Genetics. 47(3):290-297. DOI:10.1007/s10519-017-9838-2. PMC5546738.
- Bothwell, HM, SA Cushman, SA Woolbright, EI Hersch-Green, LM Evans, TG Whitham, GJ Allan. 2017. Conserving threatened riparian ecosystems in the American West: Precipitation gradients and river networks drive genetic connectivity and diversity in a foundation riparian tree (Populus angustifolia). Molecular Ecology. 26:5114-5132.
- Evans, LM, S Kaluthota, DW Pearce, GJ Allan, K Floate, SB Rood, TG Whitham. 2016. Bud phenology and growth are subject to divergent selection across a latitudinal gradient in Populus angustifolia and impact adaptation across the distributional range and associated arthropods. Ecology and Evolution. 6:2565-4582. DOI:10.1002/ece3.2222
- Evans LM, GJ Allan, SP DiFazio, GT Slavov, JA Wilder, SB Rood, KD Floate, TG Whitham. 2015. Geographical barriers and climate influence demographic history in narrowleaf cottonwoods. Heredity. 114:387-396. DOI:10.1038/hdy.2014.115
- Kaluthota, S, DW Pearce, LM Evans, MG Letts, TG Whitham, SB Rood. 2015. Higher photosynthetic capacity from higher latitude: foliar characteristics and gas exchange of southern, central and northern populations of Populus angustifolia. Tree Physiology. 35:936-948. DOI: 10.1093/treephys/tpv069
- Evans LM, GT Slavov, E Rodgers-Melnick, J Martin, P Ranjan, W Muchero, AM Brunner, W Schackwitz, L Gunter, J-G Chen, GA Tuskan, SP DiFazio. 2014. Population genomics of Populus trichocarpa identifies signatures of selection and adaptive trait associations. Nature Genetics. 46:1089-1096. DOI:10.1038/ng.3075 **Press release at: http://jgi.doe.gov/signatures-selection-inscribed-poplar-genomes/
- Muchero W, J Guo, SP DiFazio, J-G Chen, PRanjan, GT Slavov, LE Gunter, S Jawdy, AC Bryan, R Sykes, A Ziebell, I Porth, O Skyba, F Unda, YA El-Kassaby, CJ Douglas, SD Mansfield, J Martin, W Schackwitz, LM Evans, O Czarnecki, GA Tuskan. 2014. Multi-environment Identification and Molecular Validation of Allelic Variants Associated With Cell Wall Chemistry in Populus. BMC Genomics. 16:24.
- Brunner AM, LM Evans, C-Y Hsu, S Xiaoyan. 2014. Vernalization and the chilling requirement to exit bud dormancy: shared or separate regulation? Frontiers in Plant Science. 5:732. DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2014.00732
- Cushman, SA, T Max, N Meneses, LM Evans, SM Ferrier, B Honchak, TG Whitham, GJ Allan. 2014. Landscape genetic connectivity in a riparian foundation tree is jointly driven by climatic gradients and river networks. Ecological Applications. 24:1000-1014.
- Bangert RK, SM Ferrier, LM Evans, K Kennedy, KC Grady, GJ Allan, TG Whitham. 2013. The proportion of three foundation plant species and their genotypes influence an arthropod community: restoration implications for the endangered southwestern willow flycatcher. Restoration Ecology 21:447-456.
- Evans LM, GJ Allan, N Meneses, TL Max, TG Whitham. 2013. Herbivore host-associated genetic differentiation depends on the scale of plant genetic variation examined. Evolutionary Ecology 27:65-81.
- Evans LM, GJ Allan, and TG Whitham. 2012. Populus hybrid hosts drive divergence in the herbivorous mite, Aceria parapopuli: Implications for conservation of plant hybrid zones as essential habitat. Conservation Genetics 13:1601-1609.
- Evans, LM, JS Clark, AV Whipple, TG Whitham. 2012. The relative influences of host plant genotype and yearly abiotic variability in determining herbivore abundance. Oecologia. 168:483-489.
- Whitham, TG, CA Gehring, LJ Lamit, T Wojtowicz, LM Evans, AR Keith, DS Smith. 2012. Community specificity: life and afterlife effects of genes. Trends in Plant Science 17:271-281.
- Evans, LM, RW Hofstetter, MP Ayres, KD Klepzig. 2011. Temperature alters the relative abundance and population growth rates of species within the Dendroctonus frontalis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) community. Environmental Entomology 40:824-834.
- Whitham TG, CA Gehring, LM Evans, CJ LeRoy, RK Bangert, JA Schweitzer, GJ Allan, RC Barbour, DG Fischer, BM Potts, JK Bailey. 2010. A community and ecosystem genetics approach to conservation biology and management. Pp. 50-73. In Molecular Approaches in Natural Resource Conservation (J.A DeWoody, J.W. Bickham, C. Michler, K. Nichols, O.E. Rhodes, and K. Woeste, eds.). Cambridge University Press.
- Evans, LM, GJ Allan, S Woolbright, S Shuster, TG Whitham. 2008. Hybridization and genotypic variation in a foundation tree drive cryptic speciation of a specialist herbivore. Evolution 62:3027-3040.
Preprints, In Review, and In Preparation:
Mize, TM†, SA Funkhouser+, JM Buck, JA Stitzel, MA Ehringer, LM Evans. Testing association of previously implicated gene-sets and gene-networks in nicotine exposed mouse models with human smoking phenotypes. In review at Nicotine & Tobacco Research.
Funkhouser, SA+, JD Boardman, JK Hewitt, MC Stallings, CJ Hopfer, SA Brown, TA Wall, CA Reynolds, MC Keller, LM Evans. In prep. Investigating heterogeneous genetic effects contributing to smoking behaviors. Preprint on MedRxiv: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.08.21261764v1
Hatoum, AS, EC Mitchell, CL Morrison, LM Evans, MC Keller, NP Friedman. GWAS of over 427,000 individuals establishes GABAergic and synaptic molecular pathways as key for cognitive executive functions. Preprint on BioRxiv: https://doi.org/10.1101/674515
Tahmasbi, R, LM Evans, E Turkheimer, MC Keller. Testing the moderation of quantitative gene by environment interactions in unrelated individuals. BioRxiv: https://doi.org/10.1101/191080