Assistant Professor • Sleep, Inflammation, and Neuropathology Lab
Office: WILD 204
- The bidirectional relationship between pathological inflammation and sleep.
- Identifying the interaction between pediatric traumatic brain injury, hormone dysregulation, and sleep-wake disturbances.
- Investigating the effects of the age at first exposure to brain injury on development and long-term pathological and functional outcomes.
- Investigating the relationship between sleep, traumatic brain injury, and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Sleep, Inflammation, and Neuropathology Laboratory.
- 2007, B.S. (Pre-medical Sciences, Biology), Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, KY
- 2010, Integrated Biomedical Sciences Program, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY
- 2014, Ph.D. (Anatomy and Neurobiology), University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, KY
- 2017, Postdoctoral Fellow (Neuroscience), BARROW Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ
- 2017-2021, Assistant Research Professor, Department of Child Health, University of Arizona, College of Medicine-Phoenix
- 2017-2021, Assistant Professor, Research Scholar Track, Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ
- 2019-2021, Assistant Professor, Scientist Track, Department of Neurosurgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
- 2019-2021, Assistant Research Professor, Clinical Translational Sciences, University of Arizona, College of Medicine-Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ
- 2021-2023, Assistant Research Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado Boulder
- 2023-Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado Boulder
Honors and Awards (since 2010)
- 2010-2013, NIH Research Supplement to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research Fellowship
- 2013, Poster Presentation Finalist, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Symposium, Nashville, TN
- 2013, Travel Award Recipient, 31st Annual National Neurotrauma Symposium, Nashville, TN
- 2014-2017, Bisgrove Scholar Fellowship, competitive international award by Science Foundation Arizona, $200,000
- 2014, Poster selected for press conference “Sleep and the Brain” at Society for Neuroscience Meeting, Washington D.C.
- 2015, International Travel Award recipient, 12th Symposium of the International Neurotrauma Society, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2015, Japan Neuroscience Society- Society for Neuroscience Exchange Travel Grant, 38th Annual meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society, received 1 of 5 travel awards (for North America) given by Society for Neuroscience Global Affairs Committee
- 2015, Poster selected for oral presentation and top poster award at 38th Annual meeting of the Japan Neuroscience Society, Kobe, Japan
- 2015, Poster selected for oral presentation at 6th World Congress on Sleep Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
- 2016, Society for Neuroscience Professional Development Award, San Diego, CA
- 2016, National Neurotrauma Society, Women in Neurotrauma Research—Visiting International Scholar Award
- 2016, Poster Presentation Finalist, 34th Annual National Neurotrauma Symposium, Lexington, KY
- 2016, International Brain Injury Association (IBIA) Young Investigator Award, 11th World Congress on Brain Injury, The Netherlands
- 2017, Phoenix Children’s Hospital Service Award
- 2019, World Sleep Society — Young Investigator Award
- 2019, Poster selected for oral presentation at World Congress on Sleep Medicine, Vancouver, Canada
- 2019, American Academy of Sleep Medicine Foundation — Young Investigators Research Forum Award
- 2021, National Neurotrauma Society Family Care Grant
- 2022, National Neurotrauma Society Rising Star Award
- 2023, International Brain Injury Association Early Career Investigator Honorable Mention
For a complete list of publications, click here.
- Giordano K.R., Saber M., Green T.R.F., Murphy S.M., Lifshitz, J., and Rowe R.K. (2023) CSF-1R inhibition transiently attenuated the peripheral immune response to experimental traumatic brain injury. Neurotrauma Reports, PMID: 37139183
- Green T.R.F., Murphy S.M., and Rowe R.K. (2022) Comparisons of quantitative approaches for assessing microglial morphology reveals inconsistencies, ecological fallacy, and a need for standardization. Scientific Reports, PMID: 35111130
- Green T.R.F., Murphy S.M., Moreno-Montano M.P., Audinat E., and R.K. Rowe (2022) Reactive morphology of dividing microglia following kainic acid administration. Frontiers in Neuroscience
- Rowe R.K., Green T.R.F., Giordano K.R., Ortiz J.B., Murphy S.M., and Opp M. (2022) Microglia are necessary to regulate sleep after an immune challenge. Biology, PMID: 36009868
- Giordano K.R., Law L.M., Henderson J., Rowe R.K., and J. Lifshitz (2022) Time course of remote neuropathology following diffuse traumatic brain injury in the male rat. Experimental Neurobiology, PMID: 35673999
- Rowe R.K., and G. Griesbach (2022) Immune-endocrine interactions in the pathophysiology of sleep-wake disturbances following traumatic brain injury: A narrative review. Brain Research Bulletin, PMID: 35537569
- Gerald B., Ortiz J.B., Green T.R.F., Adelson P.D., and R.K. Rowe (2022) Traumatic brain injury characteristics predictive of subsequent sleep-wake disturbances in pediatric patients. Biology, PMID: 35453799
- Green T.R.F., Murphy S.M., Ortiz J.B., and R.K. Rowe (2022) Age-at-injury influences the glial response to traumatic brain injury in the cortex of male juvenile rats. Frontiers in Neurology, PMID: 35111130
- Apostol C.R., Bernard K., Tanghutri P., Molnar G., Bartlett M.J., Szabo L., Liu C., Ortiz J.B., Saber M., Giordano K.R., Green T.R.F., Melvin J., Morrison H.W., Madhavan L., Rowe R.K., Streicher J.M., Heien M.L., Falk T., and R. Polt (2022) Design and synthesis of brain penetrant glycopeptide analogues of PACAP with neuroprotective potential for traumatic brain injury and parkinsonism. Frontiers in Drug Discovery, PMID: 35237767