Office: Ramaley N189
- The neural mechanisms underlying emotional behavior and the stress-induced control of physiology and emotional behavior
- Behavioral Neuroendocrinology Laboratory
- 1983-1987, B.A. Hons., University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming
- 1987-1995, Ph.D., Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon
- 1995-2002, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University Research Centre for Neuroendocrinology, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK.
- 2002-2003, Neuroendocrinology Charitable Trust Research Fellow, University Research Centre for Neuroendocrinology, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK.
- 2003-2007, Wellcome Trust Intermediate Level Research Fellow, Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Integrative Neuroscience and Endocrinology, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK.
- 2007-2013, Assistant Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder.
- 2013-Present, Associate Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder.
Honors and Awards
- 1983-1987, University of Wyoming Honors and Scholars Program
- 1992-1994, National Institute of Mental Health National Research Service Award (NRSA) Predoctoral Fellowship
- 2002-2003, Research Fellow, Neuroendocrinology Charitable Trust
- 2003-2007, Research Fellow, The Wellcome Trust
- 2007, Young Investigator Award, NARSAD
- 2009-2014, National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award
- 2010, Young Investigator Award, NARSAD
- 2011, Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) Donald F. Klein Early Career Investigator Award
- 2016, University of Colorado Boulder Provost's Faculty Achievement Award (tenured faculty)
For a complete list of publications, click here.
Postolache TT, Akram F, Lee EE, Lowry CA, Stiller JW, Brenner LA, Streeten EA, Turecki G, Dwivedi Y. Increased brain vitamin D receptor expression and decreased expression of cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide in individuals who died by suicide. J Psychiatr Res. PMID: 32213352
Postolache TT, Wadhawan A, Can A, Lowry CA, Woodbury M, Makkar H, Hoisington AJ, Scott AJ, Potocki E, Benros ME, Stiller JW. Inflammation in Traumatic Brain Injury. J Alzheimers Dis. PMID: 32176646
Bernabe CS, Caliman IF, Truitt WA, Molosh AI, Lowry CA, Hay-Schmidt A, Shekhar A, Johnson PL. Using loss- and gain-of-function approaches to target amygdala-projecting serotonergic neurons in the dorsal raphe nucleus that enhance anxiety-related and conditioned fear behaviors. J Psychopharmacol. PMID: 32153226
Hagerty SL, Hutchison KE, Lowry CA, Bryan AD. An empirically derived method for measuring human gut microbiome alpha diversity: Demonstrated utility in predicting health-related outcomes among a human clinical sample. PLoS One. PMID: 32119675
Bowers SJ, Vargas F, González A, He S, Jiang P, Dorrestein PC, Knight R, Wright KP Jr, Lowry CA, Fleshner M, Vitaterna MH, Turek FW. Repeated sleep disruption in mice leads to persistent shifts in the fecal microbiome and metabolome. PloS One. PMID: 32078624
Akram F, Gragnoli C, Raheja UK, Snitker S, Lowry CA, Stearns-Yoder KA, Hoisington AJ, Brenner LA, Saunders E, Stiller JW, Ryan KA, Rohan KJ, Mitchell BD, Postolache TT. Seasonal affective disorder and seasonal changes in weight and sleep duration are inversely associated with plasma adiponectin levels. J Psychiatr Res. PMID: 31981963
Wadhawan A, Reynolds MA, Makkar H, Scott AJ, Potocki E, Hoisington AJ, Brenner LA, Dagdag A, Lowry CA, Dwivedi Y, Postolache TT. Periodontal pathogens and neuropsychiatric health. Curr Top Med Chem. PMID: 31981963
Amoroso M, Böttcher A, Lowry CA, Langgartner D, Reber SO. Subcutaneous Mycobacterium vaccae promotes resilience in a mouse model of chronic psychosocial stress when administered prior to or during psychosocial stress. Brain Behav Immun. PMID: 31887415
Prescott SL, Hancock T, Bland J, van den BOsch M, Jansson JK, Johnson CC, Kondo M, Katz D, Kort R, Kozyrskyj A, Logan AC, Lowry CA, Nanan R, Poland B, Robinson J, Schroeck N, Sinkkonen A, Springmann M, Wright RO, Wegienka G. Int J Environ Res Public Health. PMID: 31694316
Akram F, Jennings TB, Stiller JW, Lowry CA, Postolache TT. Mood Worsening on Days with High Pollen Counts is associated with a Summer Pattern of Seasonality. Pteridines. PMID: 31631951
Duffy AR, O'Connell JR, Pavlovich M, Ryan KA, Lowry CA, Daue M, Raheja UK, Brenner LA, Markon AO, Punzalan CM, Dagdag A, Hill DE, Pollin TI, Seyfang A, Groer MW, Mitchell BD, Postolache TT. Toxoplasma gondii Serointensity and Seropositivity: Heritability and Household-Related Associations in the Old Order Amish. Int J Environ Res Public Health. PMID: 31623376
Arnold MR, Greenwood BN, McArthur JA, Clark PJ, Fleshner M, Lowry CA. Effects of repeated voluntary or forced exercise on brainstem serotonergic systems in rats. Behav Brain Res. PMID: 31525404
Flux MC, Lowry CA. Finding intestinal fortitude: Integrating the microbiome into a holistic view of depression mechanisms, treatment, and resilience. Neurobiol Dis. PMID: 31454550
Donner NC, Davies SM, Fitz SD, Kienzle DM, Shekhar A, Lowry CA. Crh receptor priming in the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BNST) induces tph2 gene expression in the dorsomedial dorsal raphe nucleus and chronic anxiety. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. PMID: 31415826
Lieb MW, Weidner M, Arnold MR, Loupy KM, Nguyen KT, Hassell JE Jr, Schnabel KS, Kern R, Day HEW, Lesch KP, Waider J, Lowry CA. Effects of maternal separation on serotonergic systems in the dorsal and median raphe nuclei of adult male Tph2-deficient mice. Behav Brain Res. PMID: 31319134