Office: Clare Small 102
- Neural Plasticity & Recovery
- Motor Control & Learning
- Rehabilitation Robotics
- 2001-2005, BSE, Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2006-2008, MS, Biomedical Engineering, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- 2009-2016, PhD, Neuroscience, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- 2012-2015, Research Assistant, Sensory Motor Performance Program, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (Shirley Ryan AbilityLab), Chicago, IL.
- 2016-2017, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Emory University, Atlanta GA
- 2018-2020, Research Fellow, Harvard Medical School & Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA
- 2020-Present, Assistant Professor, Department of Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
Honors and Awards
- 2007-2008, University of Illinois, Dept. of Bioengineering, Chicago, Tuition Award.
- 2009-2011, Northwestern University Graduate School Fellowship
- 2012, Northwestern University, Teaching Fellow
- 2013, International Society of Biomechanics, Clinical Biomechanics Award Finalist, 2013 Congress Brazil
- 2014, Northwestern University Kellogg School of Businesses, Certificate: Management for Scientists & Engineers
- 2014- 2015, Northwestern University, Interdepartmental Neuroscience Program, Doctoral Candidate Conference Travel Awards
- 2013-2015, NIH T32, Neurobiology of Movement and Rehabilitation Sciences, Predoctoral Research Training Award, Northwestern University
- 2015, International Society of Biomechanics, Clinical Biomechanics Award, 2015 Congress, Scotland
- 2016 & 2020, Wings for Life Spinal Cord Research Foundation, Trainee/Travel Grant Award, Neurotherapeutic Intermittent Hypoxia Conf.
- 2018-2020, Craig H Neilsen Foundation, Post-doctoral Research Fellowship, Spinal Cord Injury Research on the Translational Spectrum.
- 2019-2020, Spaulding Research Institute Catalyst Funding, Harvard Medical School & Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
- 2019-2020, Gordon Center for the Cure and Treatment of Paralyses, Research Fellow, Harvard Medical School & Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital.
- Tan AQ, Papadopoulos JM, Corsten AN, Trumbower RD. Automated pressure-swing absorption system to deliver low oxygen therapy to persons with spinal cord injury. 2020. Experimental Neurology.
- Vivodtzev I, Tan AQ, Megan Hermann, Jayaraman A, Stahl V, Hayes HB, Rymer WZ, Mitchell GS, Trumbower RD. Mild to moderate sleep apnea is linked to hypoxia-induced motor recovery after spinal cord injury. 2020. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.
- Tan AQ, Trumbower RD. Acute Intermittent Hypoxia: a step towards restoring walking after spinal cord injury. 2020. Review. Current Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Reports.
- Naidu A, Peters DM, Tan AQ, Barth SB, et al. Daily acute intermittent hypoxia to improve walking function in persons with subacute spinal cord injury: a randomized clinical trial study protocol. 2020. BMC Neurology.
- Thibaudier Y*, Tan AQ*, Peters DM, Trumbower RD. Spatial and temporal interlimb coordination are differentially impaired during walking in persons with incomplete spinal cord injury. 2019. Gait & Posture. * Equal Contributions.
- Sohn W*, Tan AQ*, Hayes HB, Deffeyes J, Pochiraju S, Trumbower RD. Variability of leg kinematics during overground walking in persons with incomplete spinal cord injury. 2019. Journal of Neurotrauma. * Equal Contributions
- Kessar TM, Tan AQ, Steven EP, Baker K, Wolf SL, Borich MR. Agonist-antagonist coactivation enhances corticomotor excitability of ankle musculature. 2019. Neural Plasticity.
- Borich MR, Wolf SL, Tan AQ, Palmer J. Targeted neuromodulation of abnormal interhemispheric connectivity to promote neural plasticity and recovery of arm function after stroke: a randomized cross-over clinical trial study protocol. 2018. Neural Plasticity.
- Tan AQ, Dhaher YY. Contralesional hemisphere regulation of TMS induced across-joint kinetic coupling in the post-stroke lower limb. 2017. Frontiers in Neurology.
- Tan AQ, Shemmell J, Dhaher YY. Downregulating aberrant motor evoked potential synergies of the lower extremity post-stroke during TMS of the contralesional hemisphere. 2016. Brain Stimulation.
- Sharafi B, Hoffman G, Tan AQ, Dhaher YY. Sequential motor control of balance recovery in response to trips in post-stroke gait. 2016. Experimental Brain Research.
- Tan AQ, Dhaher YY. Tuning of robotic therapy controllers for stroke gait: using isometrically constrained EMG modular structures. 2015. Proceedings IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society.
- Tan AQ, Dhaher YY. Evaluation of lower limb cross planar kinetic connectivity signatures post stroke. 2014. Journal of Biomechanics.