Published: Aug. 5, 2015 By

In our Anecdotal Evidence column, movers and shakers share personal stories of how intriguing (and often odd) presidential campaigning in their respective swing state can be.

Rick Perry is definitely not a robot

Judy Davidson – Scott County GOP Chair

1

Judy Davidson. Photo: Lars Gesing/CU News Corps

“Rick Perry called me personally before he was running last time. It was in 2011. I came home, and there was a message on my answering machine. ‘Hi Judy, this is Gov. Rick Perry.’ And I thought, ‘Oh god, another robocall.’ I was ready to just delete it. But I kept listening. ‘I’m thinking about running for president. I might come to Iowa and shake things up a bit. I’ll give you a call.’

“It was 5.05 p.m., and there was no number to trace. So I looked up his office number and called it. It was still open. I told them the information, and two minutes later my phone rang again. We talked for about 30 minutes.”

***

Just the three of us – and the leader of the free world

Bob Fox – Mississippi Valley Fair General Manager

2

Bob Fox. Photo: Lars Gesing/CU News Corps

“President Obama came to the Mississippi Valley Fair twice, in 2008 and 2012. He walked into our office. The Secret Service had taken over the building. He said no political questions. Instead he talked to my wife about his dog, Bo. It was just me, my wife and Vicky (the MVF event coordinator) – and the leader of the free world. No matter if you are a Republican or a Democrat – that is pretty cool.

“This year we don’t have any confirmed candidate visits yet. The phone hasn’t rung. They are missing a big vote if they don’t come. We are running a city here, 290,000 people in six days. We can show them to the public. But they are going to smaller venues and to the state fair.”

***

Make sure to also follow States in Play on Facebook.