Erin Neale (’17) was fascinated with her classes about the Middle East, and she knew it was only a matter of time before she studied abroad in the region. After being accepted into the Arabic Language Institute American University in Cairo, Egypt program and receiving a Global Grant from IAFS, Neale embarked on a yearlong program in Egypt. Here are a few excerpts written during her time abroad:

September/November 2015
I have been in Egypt about a week and a half now and I recently started my classes. Currently, I am taking 25 hours of Arabic intensive courses a week. About 80% is learning Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and the other 20% is the Egyptian Colloquial Dialect (ECA). By communicating with the Egyptian students and living in Egypt, I am furthering my understanding of ECA. Recently, I’ve been participating in tours of historic Islamic and Coptic areas of Cairo. I visited the Mosque of Sultan Hassan in Cairo. I was fascinated with its large size and being able to feel peaceful and quiet amidst all the people. My first experience entering a mosque was very enjoyable!

February/May 2016
In my classes, I have been learning a lot about Middle Eastern history and the Arab Spring. It is fascinating to be in the Middle East so soon after the Arab Spring. It is one of the most talked about subjects among the students at the university. Recently, I traveled to Lebanon and got to hear the Lebanese dialect of Arabic. This semester, I’ve also been volunteering as an English tutor at an institution for refugees from Sudan and Ethiopia now living in Cairo. My experiences in Egypt have significantly shaped the way I view the Middle East and the world in general. Studying abroad for a year has also encouraged me to stay in Egypt this summer and continue my Arabic language learning, which I am confident will serve me well in my future career endeavors.