Office: BESC 362
My principal areas of research and activities are in five broad areas:
(1) The petroleum systems of deepwater margins, which comprises integrated studies in regional seismic and sequence stratigraphic analyses, reservoir geology, 3-D seismic interpretation, biostratigraphy, structural analyses, and petroleum systems modeling. Our work has included studies in numerous deepwater basins globally.
(2) Detailed studies concentrate on the evolution of depositional settings within a sequence stratigraphic framework. Our work has included studies in numerous basins globally.
(3) Unconventional resources, primarily tight gas sandstones, shale-gas and shale-oil. Our work has been primarily in the Piceance Basin (NW Colorado), where we focused on integrated studies in the sequence stratigraphy (regional evolution of Late Cretaceous shoreline trends, fluvial stacking patterns, and coal facies distribution), reservoir geology, shale-gas plays, structural analyses, and petroleum systems modeling.
(4) Recent significant efforts in creating accurate, detailed animations of US geology for K-12 Education and public outreach. We have major collaborative efforts with the Denver Museum of Nature and Science and the American Geoscience Institute. Details are included at igp.colorado.edu.
(5) Since November 2018, I have served on the Executive Committee of the American Geoscience Institute (AGI)(www.americangeosciences.org). I will serve as President-Elect (2020-21), and President (2021-22). AGI "provides information services to geoscientists, serves as a voice of shared interests in our profession, plays a major role in strengthening geoscience education, and strives to increase public awareness of the vital role the geosciences play in society’s use of resources, resilience to natural hazards, and the health of the environment."
Recent honors include:
2014 New Orleans Geological Society- Honorary Membership
2015 GCSSEPM- Doris M. Curtis Medal, for career contributions in the development of new concepts for understanding the geology of the Gulf of Mexico Basin and other basins globally
2016 GCAGS- Outstanding Educator
2017 GCAGS- Don R. Boyd Medal for Excellence in Gulf Coast Geology
2018 AAPG- Honorary Membership
2020 AAPG- Sidney Powers Medal
2020-2022- American Geoscience Institute (AGI): President-Elect (2020-21), President (2021-22)
Department Topic Areas
- Primary: Sedimentology & Stratigraphy, Economic & Energy Resources, Structure & Tectonics
- Secondary: Earth Science Education
Education and Training
- Ph.D., The University of Texas at Austin, 1989
- M.S., University of Colorado, 1980
- B.A., Pomona College, 1978