For failures of ultra low temperature (ULT) and -40/-30 ⁰C freezers:
- Find space in a back-up freezer by contacting one of the following people based on your building or department. If your department is not listed below, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do what we can to help you find space for your samples in another freezer.
MCDB - Jerry Greene
JSCBB - Steve Hammerlein
IPHY - Jennifer Law
- While you wait to find space, pack empty space in your freezer with dry ice until a solution can be found. Sources of dry ice on campus and around Boulder can be found on this poster.
- Contact someone to help diagnose and repair your freezer. The contact information for two repair companies are listed below.
Sercom Scientific Equipment Repair
Fort Collins Office: (970) 482-8410
Denver Office: (303) 573-7266
Sienco Instrument Repair in Aurora, CO
Phil Bish, 303-934-1084
Facilities Management will change filters, freezer batteries, and provide basic troubleshooting (not repairs) for a fee. Facilities Managment provides Preventative Maintenance (PM) on your freezers, on an annual basis, if your freezer has been tagged with an equipment number. Contact Robin Arellano-Valles at email@example.com to verify your freezer is on the PM schedule.
For failures of -20 ⁰C freezers (including for flammable materials):
- CU Green Labs has some mobile freezers (link to mobile freezer page) that are available for -20 ⁰C freezer failures including one mobile freezer suitable for the storage of flammable materials. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to utilize this resource.
- If your -20 ⁰C freezer or flammable freezer is not lab grade, the cost of the freezer repair may be as high as buying a new freezer and thus, often times, it makes better sense financially to just purchase a new unit.
- Be sure to check out our webpage on Choosing a Unit for more helpful information before purchasing a new -20 ⁰C freezer.