Greek Sustainability, popularly known as Green Greeks, is on a mission to help CU’s Greek community reduce its environmental impact. We aim to transform all chapter houses and annexes into prime examples of energy and water efficient living spaces, to foster greater environmental understanding, to teach proper waste diversion, to build positive lifelong habits, and to shape the Greek community into champions of sustainability.
Who We Are
Green Greeks is comprised of Green Greek-representatives from each Greek house and the two Greek-wide sustainability coordinators who supervise their efforts. The goals of a Green Greek-rep include establishing behaviors that aim to lower the carbon footprint, energy usage, and wasteful tendencies of their house and active members. Instituting recycling bins, composting bins, presenting about zero waste, and promoting sustainability themed events are examples of the responsibilities held by eco-reps. Attending group meetings with the coordinators to discuss the challenges they encounter are also expected.
Specific Green Greek-Representative duties include:
1. Remain in contact with coordinators about any issues regarding sustainability in their houses
- Post-presentation check-ins with coordinators and the house themselves
- At chapter, remind members of issues occurring in the houses and solutions to those issues
2. Have continuous watchful eyes on the disposal waste on their house
- Make sure all bins stay in the same place and are labeled properly
- Inform peers what waste goes in what bins
- Send pictures of bins to coordinators every two weeks to check up on waste
3. Recruiting new members
- Make announcements at house chapter about green greek meetings
- Post on facebook/GroupMe's about meetings
- Make Green Greek announcements in lectures
- Contact live-ins, younger chapter members, and friends to join green greeks
4. Participate in postering, tabling, and chalking
5. Organize sustainability events at Greek houses
- For example, a scrape your plate event for chapter dinner, contact coordinators for extra help
Becoming a Green Greeks Representative
Join us for our 5:30-6:30pm meetings for Fall 2022 semester:
- September 7th & 21st
- Oct 5th & 19th
- Nov 2nd & 16th
Register by completeing the Green Greek Interest Form:
During the spring semesters annual Greek Week, Green Greeks hosts a sustainable Greek wide event. Spring 2019 we incorporated a Carbon Drawdown Challenge using the PIPs Rewards App. Chapters competed against each other by scanning QR codes that tracked when they refilled their water bottles, recycled, rode their bikes, and carpooled. Activites change yearly, but you may expect to see green themed athletic events, sustainable trivia competitions, and more.The winning house receives an exclusive award and trophy.
We are open to the ideas of Greek Greek Leadership to help shape events.
HIRING New Sorority Sustainability Coordinator Fall 2022
Thank you Riley Jenkins for all your leadership in this role!
Fraternity Sustainability Coordinator
Email both Coordiantors at GreenGreeks@colorado.edu