Degree Conferral, August 19, 2021
Summer graduates are invited to participate in commencement activities the semester prior to or immediately following graduation from CU Boulder as there is no summer campus-wide ceremony.
Applying for Graduation
Soon-to-be graduates are encouraged to check in with their advisors to ensure all credits and degree requirements have been met and to inform the dean’s office of their plans. Each student must also officially apply to graduate. To apply for graduation, log in to your Buff Portal and follow the step-by-step instructions provided on the Office of the Registrar’s Graduation and Commencement website. Master's and Doctoral students (except MBA and Law students) will need to file according to the Graduate School deadlines.
Summer 2021 degree candidates must apply to graduate by Wednesday, April 1, 2021 in order to have their name in the 2021 commencement program.
Recognition of Graduates
While degrees are awarded three times during the year (Fall, Spring, Summer), there is only one university commencement ceremony in May. The commencement program includes those students who had graduated during the previous fall (December), plus those students expected to graduate in spring (May) or the upcoming summer (August) before the beginning of the new academic year.
The names of the August 2021 graduating students will be included in a combined list in the program, and all graduating students will be recognized as a combined group during the conferral of degrees for each school and college. August graduates will be included in all college/school recognition ceremonies and receptions. The colleges/schools determine the program content of these events.
August doctoral and law candidates will be hooded during the individual departmental recognition ceremonies in the spring.
Important Dates for Summer Degree Conferral
- July 10 – Last Day for Graduate, MBA & Law Students to Submit or Cancel a Graduation Application (11:59 p.m.)
- August 6 – Last Day for Undergraduates to Submit or Cancel a Graduation Application (11:59 p.m.)
- September 3 – Deadline for August graduates to update diploma name and address through the online graduate application.
- September 10 – Official transcripts with degrees posted will be available for ordering.
- October 4 – Doctoral, Master’s and undergraduate diplomas will be mailed to the home address unless a diploma address was indicated.
For more information on applying for graduation, how to update your diploma name or address or other graduation process related questions, please visit the Office of the Registrar's Graduation & Commencement page.