Published: Sept. 1, 2013

Virginia PattersonA Boulder Legend I read with interest and pure joy the article on Virginia Wheeler Patterson, (Jour’46), pictured right. Having graduated some years ago, and having been a member of St. Aidan’s Episcopal Church, I was thrilled to see her getting the recognition and accolades she so rightfully deserves.

Her husband, Father A.B. Patterson Jr., had a huge influence on my life. He was a wonderful counselor to me as a very confused freshman who had a gay roommate and had no experience with gays. He also helped me through a tough time with my sorority when it decided I was the cause of a problem that had nothing to do with me. He was there for me when I simply did not understand that there are people in this world who are unkind to others for no particular reason. He was there for me when I made the Dean’s List, and he came to Ohio and officiated at my wedding in 1966.

My husband and I were stationed at Ft. Riley, Kan., during the Vietnam War. During that time I lost twins prematurely. Father Pat was there for me then. We traveled to Colorado after their funeral and visited with him.

His wife, Virginia, was always in the background supporting him and his work with the students at the university and the church. They were quite a team.

To see the wonderful article and to know that Mrs. Pat is getting recognized for the grand lady she is made me proud to have known her. Hats off to you for the article! She is truly a gem of Boulder!

Terry Jones Mooney (Hist’65)
Newark, Ohio

Kudos to the Coloradan

As the editor of the CU-Boulder alumni magazine, you did yourself proud once again! The latest edition arrived in yesterday’s mail. It was an excellent example of journalism, as usual. You seem to have a knack for publishing special articles and reports about outstanding achievements of people and graduates of the university in Boulder.

Some of the outstanding graduates will be honored this coming fall on Thursday evening before the Homecoming game in October. I hope to be there in the crowd, cheering the Buffs on to victory!

Congratulations on a job well done. Keep up the good work!

Charles Walter Wooten (MEdu’65)
Broomfield, Colo.

Breaking Ground

Well, another great issue of the Coloradan. The story about the Washington avalanche [“Breaking Ground” on pages 6-11 in the June Coloradan] was fascinating. There is one minor correction, however. John Branch (Mktg’89, MJour’96) was a sports columnist for the Fresno Bee from 2002-05, not the Sacramento Bee. I worked in Sacramento then and know he was not in the sports department.

Yea, I know, you’ve seen one Bee you’ve seen ‘em all.

Carry on!

Jay Mather (Geog’69)
Sisters, Ore.

Another View of Peace Corps

Perhaps I’ve missed the boat on this subject since the letters regarding the March 2013 Coloradan article “Legacy of Peace” [pages 20-25] appeared in the June issue. Nevertheless, after reading the glowing letters of appreciation, I feel compelled to offer another perspective on the Peace Corps.

In 1970 I was a high school graduate who was drawn to the TV ads for the Peace Corps. I was working a dead-end job and really believed I could do something good for humanity by joining the Peace Corps. Upon eagerly reading the brochures I received in the mail, I learned that the Peace Corps did not believe I had anything to offer unless I had spent four years and plenty of money earning an undergraduate degree. To this day I don’t comprehend this. I met the age requirements to join the Peace Corps and actually already spoke three languages. Without an undergrad degree, I wasn’t even eligible to apply.

Life went on. In 1983, while on active duty with the U.S. Army, I was temporarily stationed in Bremen, Germany, at the U.S. Consulate. One morning I arrived at work to find a young women sitting on the front steps of the Consulate in tears. She had just spent nearly two years in the Peace Corps in Africa. She had planned to use the money she had earned with the Peace Corps to travel through Europe. Although this had been her plan since she joined the Peace Corps, they told her she wouldn’t be paid until she returned to the U.S. She had run out of money in Bremen, hadn’t eaten in three days and came to the U.S. Consulate because it was the only place she could find that had “U. S.” in the name.

I immediately took her to our offices. When Mike, a sergeant, learned the woman hadn’t eaten in days, he whisked her to his apartment where his wife fed her breakfast. Later all of us took her to lunch, and she stayed with Mike and his family for several days while her family sent her funds.

I learned she left her assignment a few months early because she had been sexually harassed by other Peace Corps workers, and her complaints had fallen on deaf ears. This young woman was very bitter about her Peace Corps experience.

I realize that CU is extremely proud of the number of graduates who join the Peace Corps. I’m sure that the Peace Corps does some good in the world. You just can’t prove it from my experiences.

Ellen H. Frohsinn (Psych’87)
Berthoud, Colo.

CU Baseball and Softball?

CU-Boulder needs to re-establish the baseball program and also begin a softball program for women. Wrestling should also be reinstated.

CU is the only school in the elite Pac-12 that does not field a team in baseball or softball. With a new athletic director and a new vision for CU in the works, we should plan on baseball and softball being started at CU.

Oregon University reinstated baseball and softball just five years ago. Both teams were in the playoffs this year and are powers in their respective leagues in the Pac-12. Nike and their chairman, Phil Knight, helped them get going.

Something needs to be done now before another season is lost!

Jack Price (PE’66)
Vancouver, Wash.