Couple posing and smiling

Legally changing your name

You must change your name in your county of residence. For many first-year students, this will be your permanent residence, most likely the home of your parent or guardian. For students who live off-campus, your Boulder residence is sufficient to allow a name change in Boulder County.

To begin this process, you will need to pick up a change of name packet from the Boulder County Combined Court. The most current instructions for a name change will be inside this packet, and the basic steps are listed below.

  • Obtaining two fingerprint cards, which can be done on campus at the CU Police Department on Regent Drive. Fingerprints can also be obtained digitally through Colorado Finger Printing, which has worked with hundreds of transgender individuals. While this option is more expensive, digital prints facilitate background checks in about one week rather than up to three months.
  • A background check with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
  • A court hearing, scheduled after receiving your background checks in the mail
  • Publishing your signed court order in a daily newspaper for three consecutive days. You may petition the court that this requirement be skipped, but there is no guarantee that the petition will be allowed.
  • To learn more about filling out the various name change forms, please visit the Name and Gender Marker Change Project.

The total cost for a name change in Boulder County is approximately $300 over a two to four-month time-period, and of course, these costs are subject to change. Please check with the Clerk of Court or the agency involved in any particular step for the most current information.

Legal sex and gender marker changes

Legally changing my gender

Legally changing your gender is a much more complicated process than legally changing your name. Instead of one change, which is then reported to different offices, this change has to take place through the different agencies at which you would like this change to occur. Policies also vary according to state, or even to which state you were born in. For more information relating to your situation, please contact us and we can help you look for the specific information you need.

More information on federal documents can be found at the NCTE website.

Selective service and financial aid

The Registrar updates Selective Service for anyone eligible. You can either fill out a form in person, or you may fill out the form online on MyCUInfo (near where the Late Drop requests are).

FTM-spectrum identifying and transitioning students are not required to register. If you entered CU Boulder with your gender marker set to male, please contact the Office of the Registrar to present documentation and have your military status changed to exempt.

MTF-spectrum identifying and transitioning students are still required to register for Selective Service.

If you’re unclear of your status or need a status information letter from Selective Service that clarifies whether you are exempt from the registration requirement, see Who Must Register.