Published: Oct. 20, 2016

October 20th, 2016

Dear colleagues in Arts & Sciences,

Andrew Martin, Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary BiologyASSETT is finding its way into the professional lives of many faculty with positive effects on professional development and promoting community across diverse departments within the College. The first SIG session on critical thinking attracted professors and instructors from across the college and there was a lively discussion that centered, in part, on the similarities and differences in the defining characteristics of critical thinking among different domains of thinking and knowing the world: the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences. I attended this event and look forward to collaborations across departments as we learn how to teach and assess critical thinking. The event also added some color to my growing network of interactions I have had around substantive teaching issues since the semester began. I’m also taking advantage of the Teaching Technology Assistance Program and having a Student Fellow support me in using iBook Author in my class.  If you’re interested in implementing a technology into your class, I encourage you reach out to ASSETT to learn more!

The faculty fellows program was launched and we look forward to working with individuals on advancing the development of community around teaching and the positive role that technology can play in elevating discourse, interactions, and achievement in a variety of different contexts and department across the College.

Sincerely yours,

Andrew Martin, Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology