The design course is tailored to provide background knowledge and hands-on experiences for solving practical lighting design problems.
Course Overview PDF
You should take this course if you work in . . .
- lighting design and want more depth in developing strong design concepts
- lighting sales and want to grasp how designers incorporate new technology into their designs
- engineering or product development and want to understand the design aspects of lighting
- interior design, architecture, or theater and want to develop new expertise
You should take this course because you want to . . .
- gain a deeper understanding of the design process
- be able to describe the aesthetic qualities of light
- translate desired aesthetic qualities into design concepts
- sharpen skills in developing and communicating cohesive lighting concepts
- practice presenting and defending your concepts to a group
- acquire hands-on experience with different lighting products and materials
- experiment with different ways to solve practical lighting challenges
- learn the latest about LED luminaires, controls, and other emerging lighting technologies
- gain new ideas for applying daylighting into architectural interiors
- practice applying technical information such as TM-30 color metrics and product cut sheets to your designs
This may not be the right course for you if . . .
- you are a highly technical person who is primarily interested in the science of lighting
- you love to run lots of calculations but don’t enjoy hands-on concept experiments
- you are a highly experienced lighting designer with a formal lighting background and strong conceptual skills (but then again, a refresher never hurts!)
- Thursday, September 28 - Sunday, October 1
- Course begins at 8:30 AM on Thursday (continental breakfast available at 8:00 AM)
- Course ends at 1:00 PM on Sunday (travel from DIA not be scheduled before 3:00 PM)
- Coffee and pastries, break snacks and lunch included
- Evening reception and farewell lunch included
- Cost of course is $2,000, with discounts available for early registration
Walter Beamer, Teal Brogden, Bob Davis, David DiLaura, Mark Jongewaard, Jill Mulholland, Jeff Quinlan, Gary Trott, Sandra Vasconez