A Queer Endeavor
A Queer Endeavor, housed in the CU-Boulder School of Education and led by Bethy Leonardi, PhD and Sara Staley, PhD, is an initiative focused on supporting teachers and communities around topics of gender and sexual diversity in education. We (Bethy and Sara) are working toward growing this initiative to become a sustainable center for gender and sexual diversity in education.
We are excited to announce the release of Breaking the Silence: Honoring the Voices of LGBTQ Youth and Allies in Supporting Our Teachers. This project has been two years in the making and we are thrilled (and relieved) to see it finally making its debut. The film package includes Breaking the Silence, a 22-minute film, along with 3 shorter, more focused videos meant to extend the conversation. These include Teachers and Teacher Education, Interrogating Heteronormativity: Climate & Culture, and Pedagogy & Practice.
This film series, which includes extensive curricular resources for educators and potential facilitators, will soon be available for purchase electronically. In the meantime, we are accepting checks or money orders. If you are interested in purchasing this film series, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The pricing for this series is below:
Colleges and Universities $250
K-12 Schools/ Community Groups $100
Public Libraries $50
All funds from film purchases will go directly toward our goal of growing A Queer Endeavor to become a sustainable center for gender and sexual diversity in education.
If you cannot meet the purchase price, don't hesitate to reach out to us via email. Our goal is to get the film package out to as many diverse contexts as possible in the next year, and we are willing to work with all interested folks.
Click on the image to the left for a look at the Facilitation Guide, which includes an in-depth discussion of the films, as well as our approach to facilitating conversations around gender and sexual diversity.
Facilitation and curricular resources mentioned above, and throughout this guide, can be found on our resource website under the "BTS_Curriculum tab."
Watch the Breaking the Silence trailer:
A Queer Endeavor has 4 components:
1. Community Support: In an effort to support school communities to create safe and affirming spaces for all of their students, A Queer Endeavor offers professional development opportunities for teachers and staff. In these facilitations, we focus on knowledge-building, critical self-reflection and dialogue, and action. Our goal is to support school communities to develop habits of heart and mind around topics of gender and sexual diversity and to find entry points for action in their classrooms and schools.
2. Teacher Institutes. In these institutes, held on our campus, we aim to support local teachers and teacher educators to take up topics of gender and sexual diversity in their own school communities and to create safe and affirming spaces for all of their students and families. These two-day, evening institutes (held from 4:30-7:00 pm) are free to local educators. We host one institute in the fall and one in the spring. Fall institute dates will be announced soon! Please join our mailing list to stay informed!
3. The School of Education. Teacher Education has historically been remiss in supporting teachers to go into the field confident and prepared to create educational spaces that are affirming for LGBTQ and gender variant youth. One focus of A Queer Endeavor is to support our teacher educators and pre-service teachers to do this important work.
4. Teacher Cohort and Inquiry Group. Over the fall of 2014, we developed a teacher cohort of local educators who are working to create safe and affirming classrooms and schools. In our monthly gatherings, we collaborate, invent, reflect, and work together to make sense of our roles as educators in disrupting heteronormativity and homophobia in our local contexts. We look forward to continuing with this group, as we study the process of what it looks like to support teachers to "do this work."
Breaking the Silence-- the backstory:
In April of 2013, A Queer Endeavor, along with our School of Education hosted “An Evening with LGBTQ Youth and Allies.” The intention of this evening was to open a conversation among 14 middle, high school, and college students and 75 pre-service and in-service teachers from local school districts. We filmed the event, along with 30 plus interviews with students, teachers, and LGBTQ community members, and are in the process of creating a documentary film, Breaking the Silence: Honoring the Voices of LGBTQ Youth and Allies in Supporting our Teachers, along with associated curricular materials. Our aim is to use this film to "break the silence" in our community, and to reach out to other communities by collaborating with schools of education across the country.
To STAY CONNECTED:
1. Join our listserv:
- Send an email to email@example.com and type following into the content of your message:
- subscribe aqueerendeavor-list Firstname Lastname
- Example: subscribe aqueerendeavor-list Jane Smith
2. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org