Published: Nov. 7, 2021 By

We at CEM believe that diversity improves engineering. In this issue, we explore where we are and what work still needs to be done. 

Dear Readers,

The Center for Urban Education at the University of Southern California describes “Equity Mindedness” as, “the perspective or mode of thinking exhibited by practitioners who call attention to patterns of inequity in student outcomes. These practitioners are willing to take personal and institutional responsibility for the success of their students, and critically reassess their own practices. It also requires that practitioners are race-conscious and aware of the social and historical context of exclusionary practices in American Higher Education." 

Being mindful of Equity was a primary goal and practice this semester at the Colorado Engineer Magazine. As conversations about racial justice became part of our daily experience, especially with the growing popularity and interest in Black Lives Matter and rising concerns about AAPI hate, I knew that CEM was overdue for a serious discussion about Equity in STEM. 

I started this semester wanting to highlight the Black Lives Matter movement in engineering by providing an outlet for students to voice their opinions. My fellow editors and I agreed that, because of our Asian and European backgrounds, we were not suited for the task. Instead, I reached out to BIPOC student groups in engineering. 

When I introduced the idea of Equity to my staff, most writers were very excited, and they jumped at the opportunity to write about something they were passionate about and have been wanting to voice. So I was surprised when no one from the student groups I reached out to replied to my invitation to guest write for the Colorado Engineer.

I didn’t like the idea of producing a magazine about Equity without including more BIPOC voices, so I went to the BOLD Center for some help. The BOLD Center staff graciously reminded me that students may not want to speak out because they are exhausted. 

This state of being worn down by identity and race politics reminded me of an evocative phrase I once heard called "Racial Battle Fatigue."

“Racial Battle Fatigue” is a term coined in 2003 by William A. Smith from the University of Utah to describe the psychophysiological symptoms people of color experience living and navigating in historically white spaces.

BIPOC students face trauma everyday. They endure watching videos of Black people being harassed, harmed, and even murdered by police; they then have to hear about these things on the news, which is made nearly ubiquitous on social media. The last thing that thoughtful students want to do is increase their emotional exhaustion by reliving their various hardships for a magazine.

We all know that there are problems with Equity at multiple levels. The literature is strong and is out there for people to educate themselves. What most people want now, however, is action.

In How to be an Antiracist, author Ibram X. Kendi defines the difference between being ‘antiracist’ and ‘not racist’. Kendi writes that being ‘not racist’ “is a claim that signifies neutrality: ‘I am not a racist, but neither am I aggressively against racism.’” Kendi adds that, “one either allows racial inequities to persevere, as a racist, or confronts racial inequities, as an antiracist.” I want to challenge our readers to be antiracist.

I acknowledge that I have learned a lot through the process of publishing the Equity issue this Spring, and that I am still learning. I realize that aspects of our treatment of this complex theme might be simplified or narrow; I also realize that much more needs to be said and done. Nevertheless, I am exceedingly encouraged by the things we do talk about, and I am proud of my writers for their hard work, their diligence, and their sympathetic open-mindedness.

The goal of the Equity issue is to bring topics of equity-mindedness in engineering to the forefront in the hopes of continuing this conversation in the future without needing a special  occasion to prompt the discussion.

Our cover photo features my dear friend Arpiar who approached me last fall with a desire to draw attention to his effort to create a virtual community space for LGBTQ+ students in STEM. Our typical methodology is to have our staff writers contribute to our person of interest stories by conducting interviews, but in this case we thought it best for Arpiar to come on as a guest writer.  

What I would like to say to you the reader is that if you are a student in need of an outlet for your concerns and ideas, just like my friend Arpiar, the Colorado Engineer Magazine always has its doors open. We strive to continue growing as a publication with the goal of representing all engineers. We will continue to do our work, we will continue to educate ourselves, and we will continue to strive for Equity and inclusion. I’d encourage you to do the same. 

Justin