Effective July 1, 2021
Pre-approval is required for all trips. In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) and effective March 12, 2020, all domestic and international travel must be approved using Concur Request prior to booking a trip.
General Travel Procedures
- All travel is booked through and/or quotes received from Christopherson Business Travel.
- When booking online through Concur Travel you will need to choose the default CU ghost card as payment and approve your itinerary.
- On the last screen, they will ask you for your speedtype. Give department staff contact info to travel agent as the approver (so they will send a copy of your itinerary to the department).
- If booking through a Christopherson Business Travel Representative, a $20 service fee is assessed against the final ticket.
Currently: External internet airfare purchases are not allowable during the COVID-19 health crisis. Learn more here. Updates to this policy will be posted when received by the University.
University Travel Card
- The University Travel Card is to be used while in active travel status only.
- The University Travel Card cannot be used to purchase internet travel nor items when NOT in travel status, i.e., research books, University hosted meals, etc.
- It is highly recommended that the University Travel Card not be used to purchase meals while in travel status. In almost every instance, the per diem for the travel location is more than the actual meal expense. If the traveler chooses to use the University Travel card to purchase meals, then per diem cannot be claimed.
- Per Diem Rates
- If purchasing meals using a personal card, not a University Travel Card, effective September 2019, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese will no longer reimburse individual food receipts; we will process per diem only. Please reference the department’s Faculty Travel and/or Expense Reimbursement policy.
- Every purchase using the University travel card requires a detailed receipt showing what was purchased.
- The University Travel Card can be used for Conference Registration. The traveler can opt to have the Department Front Office pay for conference registration fees using your funding source information. Please email department staff and provide the following information:
- Registration internet site
- User name/password
- Funding Source
- In the event that the traveler pays for Conference Registration fees or other conference-related expenses with a personal credit card, please note that the department staff may not process a reimbursement for you until after the conference takes place.
- Reimbursements of expenses are processed according to your available funding source balance.
- When seeking travel reimbursement, take special care to account for Christopherson Travel tickets, Conference Fee Registration, and purchases using your University Travel Card.
- Within three days of a traveler's return to the University, please complete the Travel Reimbursement form and include scans of:
- Meals and incidentals receipts. Please see note about per diem above.
- All detailed receipts for purchases using the University Travel Card.
- Detailed receipts for purchases using a personal credit card for which the traveler is seeking reimbursement. Please refer to the PSC Procedure Statement: Travel for details.
- Boarding Tickets.
- Conference Program cover and the page listing the paper presentation title.
NOTE: Per University of Colorado policy, reimbursement for early check-in/seat assignments, late fees or alcohol purchases are not allowed.
Arts and Sciences Instructor Travel Fund
- Dependent upon funding availability, the College of Arts and Sciences offers a funding opportunity called the A&S Instructor Travel Fund to support Instructor and Senior Instructor travel for professional pursuits. You can find information about this fund here. Please also refer to the Instructor Travel Fund Procedures on the Department's website.
- If you wish to purchase airfare, please let department staff know that your flight purchase is in relation to your approved A&S instructor funding request. Please send her documented proof of funding and work with her to identify the correct speedtype against which to allocate your flight. Your flight costs cannot exceed the $600 (domestic) or $800 (international) limit.
- After completing your travel, please submit 1) the written approval for travel from the Chair, 2) the written approval for funding from A&S and 3) your related receipts up to $600 for domestic travel or $800 for international travel (remember to deduct your flight costs, if you have any) to department staff for reimbursement using Travel Reimbursement form.
International Travel requires Christopherson Business Travel agent assistance. A $20 service fee will be assessed to the final ticket price.
NOTE: If you do not receive approval in advance of your trip, your travel reimbursement may not be approved.
Currency Conversion. When using the currency converter, remember to go one day past the date on the receipt for an accurate conversion rate.