Published: June 9, 2020 By

Georgiana Salant Georgiana Salant started her doctorate journey in our lab during her second year, here's what she has to say about her experience:
"I really enjoyed my first year rotation with the Goodrich/Kugel lab and was very excited when I ended up joining. It was fun, yet challenging to be able to pioneer two new projects throughout my PhD: first, exploring the function of miR-206 in myogenesis, and second, investigating how alcohol mechanistically contributes to breast cancer development. Having Jim and Jen as mentors to lead the way throughout my scientific training was invaluable. They helped me further develop my technical skill set, encouraged my critical thinking and troubleshooting abilities. I always enjoyed our lab environment and atmosphere, which is a testament to their ability to attract smart, helpful, and enthusiastic researchers. One of the highlights in the lab was being able to train and mentor an undergraduate researcher myself. To have her make so much progress and eventually contribute to a publication was very rewarding."
 She published the article miR-206 knockout shows it is critical for myogenesis and directly regulates newly identified target mRNAs, earlier this year, which you can check out here!

Georgi also shared her insight as a graduate student: 
"My time at CU Boulder was a wonderful experience. I came in eager to learn but a bit nervous transitioning from a primarily undergraduate institution. However during my first year, although hectic, I received great training in the classroom and throughout my rotations, and I really benefited from the amazing support of my peers. The research environment at CU is very collaborative and everyone is willing to teach."

On being part of the Biochemistry graduate program, Georgi said:
"I was always impressed by the access us biochemistry graduate students had to continual scientific learning opportunities such as weekly invited seminar speakers and the ability to present at interdepartmental seminars."
Georgi got even more involved, she helped create a Summer Seminar Series for Biochemistry gradruate students, and she served as the Natural Sciences Graduate Liaison, which aided in communicating professional development opportunities and resources on campus to graduate students in the Natural Sciences.

As for her future, Georgi hopes to work in the pharmaceutical industry and make a lasting impact in biomedical and translational research. She would like to transition into a Medical Science Liaison role to serve as a scientific expert on pharmaceutical drug therapies to help advise and advance patient treatment options with leading physicians, researchers, and clinicians. She also hopes to keep mentoring in any sort of capacity and participate in science outreach to inspire young individuals to pursue a future in STEM.

We are so lucky to have had you as part of our lab and we hope your future is as bright as your student career was!
Congratulations Georgi! Now get out there and change the world!

Goodrich-Kugel Lab congratulating Georgi.