INVST Justice Summers
Summer Program Facilitators support INVST students as they become change-makers who bring about eco-social justice.
Summer Program Facilitator Responsibilities
- Participate in 30-40 hours of training, including homework on community leadership skills (this will include solo activities as well as paired projects with your co-facilitator);
- Respond to all paperwork requests from the INVST Program Director & the Admin Assistant in a timely fashion, beginning as soon as you are hired, and continuing all the way through the completion & review of the Justice Summer;
- Complete required online onboarding training per University policies (total training is approx. 3-4 hours long), including: CU Travel Credit Card Training & CU Defensive Driving Training
- Complete first aid training prior to Justice Summer at CU Boulder
- Read in advance of summer travel (includes the same reader that INVST students are assigned, as well as an additional facilitator toolkit)
- Familiarize yourself with all policies, procedures and protocols pertinent to the position, provided in the staff training manual
- Participate in Student Orientation in July & offer extra logistical support during that time, including in the evenings & on weekends (grocery shopping, packing, picking up rental car)
- During the Justice Summer, ensure the physical & emotional safety of individuals & the group
- Ensure the sustainability of INVST's summer experiences & deepen our relationships with Community Partners
- Facilitate reflection on relevant experiences & assigned readings, tying the daily activities to readings done in advance
- Facilitate community-building, group cohesion and trust among students in the INVST cohort
- Connect the various components & learning experiences with each other
- Support the growth & development of INVST students as they become change-makers who bring about eco-social justice
- Set an example as a role model & a leader
- Manage & track INVST money, as well as driving directions, maps and logistics for food and sleeping arrangements (these arrangements will have been made in advance by the INVST Program Director & Admin Assistant)
- Communicate with all Community Partners on behalf of our organization, honoring the curriculum that has been designed by the INVST Program Director
- Communicate with INVST staff at the home office regularly, as agreed upon, during summer travel
- Abide by & stand behind our ground rules
- Collaborate & share leadership & responsibility with all other INVST staff, including your co-facilitator
- Attend a 2-hour debrief with the INVST Program Director, immediately upon return from the Justice Summer
- Complete all CU travel credit card processing obligations in a timely manner after returning from summer travel (within 20 days of return)
Compensation is commensurate with experience. We offer a salary range that is competitive within the industry of experiential education.
Salary range for INVST Summer Program Facilitators is $90-$110 per day, depending on your prior professional experience. This includes staff training days. Taxes will be taken out of this sum. With the exception of personal indulgences, INVST covers all expenses during summer travel.
INVST’s Justice Summers in 2022 will help CU students meet the following learning goals:
⇒ To learn the basis of community
⇒ To examine the structural causes of social and environmental problems
⇒ To develop empathy with those who are oppressed
⇒ To learn to work WITH people, not FOR people, in reciprocal relationships with mutual benefit
⇒ To recognize that the personal is political
⇒ To recognize that the environmental is social
Staff training for the Summer Program Facilitators for both Justice Summers on CU Boulder Campus:
Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, July 6-8th, 2022 from 9 am - 4 pm.
Climate Justice Summer
Student Orientation (on campus): Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, July 13-15, 2022 from 10 am - 4 pm daily
Climate Justice Summer Travel in US Southwest: Monday, July 18, 2022 - Wednesday, August 3, 2022
Economic Justice Summer
Student Orientation (on campus): Saturday, July 23 - Monday, July 25, 2022
Economic Justice Summer Travel in Detroit, MI and Chicago, IL: Wednesday, July 27 - Friday, August 12, 2022
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 15th. In your cover letter, please indicate whether you would prefer to facilitate the Climate Justice Summer or the Economic Justice Summer. You are also welcome to apply for both.
All applicants will be interviewed via Zoom by a committee made up of current students, INVST alumni, and staff.
Do you have questions about the Summer Program Facilitator role, the Justice Summers or The INVST Program? Reach out! Please contact us at email@example.com or 303-492-8045.
Thank you for your interest in joining the INVST summer staff team! We look forward to working with you.