Here you will find a list of frequently asked questions. Click on any that interest you to see their answers.

About the Environment and Natural Sciences Residential Academic Program

What kind of clothing and other gear do I need for field trips?

Field trips to museums, the Denver Aquarium and other facilities don’t require any special clothing other than comfortable walking shoes.  Day hikes, snowshoe trips, mine tours, etc. will require not only sturdy hiking boots, but also layers of clothing like long underwear, comfortable sweaters and pants, and waterproof outerwear.  A day-pack for carrying extra clothing, food, and water will be needed.  On overnight backpack trips, a pack, sleeping bag and pad, and tents will be needed—these can be rented, if necessary, from local stores or the Recreation Center on campus.

How do I sign up to go on field trips?

A list of dates and field trips will be available at the beginning of each semester (click the Activities button).  Students will be notified by email when the signup period begins and can sign up by responding to the email.  Students who signed up for a given trip will be contacted a week or so in advance of that trip about the time and date of an informational meeting that will discuss plans, times of departure, equipment needed, etc. Because space is limited on each trip, students need to be watchful for emailed announcements and be prompt in signing up to ensure they get a place on a trip.

Can I participate in the RAP for more than one year?

Yes, we welcome sophomores to live in the dorm and participate in our activities.  Furthermore, you can continue to take RAP classes and participate in our activities as a sophomore even if you don’t live in the Residence Hall.

If I leave the RAP, can I get a refund of the fee?

No, this fee is non-refundable, unless a student withdraws from the university before the drop/add period in the fall.

What does the RAP fee cover?

Students who are members of RAPs on the Boulder Campus pay a special fee.  This fee covers all the salaries of the instructors, field trip costs (food, vehicle rentals, gas, special gear rentals), office supplies, and costs of special events, like the opening barbeque before classes.

How do RAP courses differ from those offered by departments?

Freshman level courses offered by the departments are generally very large (200-600 students). Faculty generally do not get to know students unless they are very active in going to office hours of the faculty member. RAP courses are a special section of departmental courses, carrying the same name and credit as departments. RAP instructors use the same textbook and follow the same syllabus as departmental courses. The same percentage of A’s, B’s and other grades are given in RAP and departmental sections. However, enrollment in RAP courses is not more than 20 students, and faculty members know each student’s name. Students find it easy to ask for help and find that the individual attention they get in RAP courses greatly facilitates learning.

What are the Environment and Natural Sciences RAP course requirements?

Students in the RAP must take a minimum of one 3-credit course in the fall and one 3-credit course in the spring.  Students are encouraged, when space is available, to take more than one RAP course in a given semester.

How do I register for courses?

Admitted students will be emailed an class selection survey in mid June. Students complete the survey by choosing four classes in order of preference. The RAP Coordinator will take the completed survey and register a student into a course by early July. If students want to change their RAP class, they should contact the RAP Coordinator, Claire Figel, by phone (303-492-3188), email or in person Baker Hall room E102K.   Registration for spring courses is completed by students on the dates assigned by the university. Assistance with spring registration can be provided by Claire Figel.

Do I have to be interested in natural science or the environment to participate in BRAP?

No. While most of our students are interested in biology, chemistry, geology, archeology, paleontology, astronomy or environmental sciences, we have a number of open-option (no major declared) students, plus some students from colleges other than Arts and Sciences. The Environment and Natural Sciences RAP benefits from the richness of a variety of interests, backgrounds and viewpoints among students.

About Living in Baker Hall

Should I bring a bike?

Yes, a bike is very useful.  There are many bike racks outside of Baker Hall.  All bikes must be registered.  For information on registering your bike see the Parking Services website.

Is Baker Hall completely co-ed?

Men and women students are primarily divided by wings, but are sometimes across the hallway from each other.

Is Baker Hall a secure building?

Baker Hall is a secure building. Living areas and classrooms can only be entered through locked doors.

How do I find out my room assignment and roommate?

All residence hall room assignments are managed by Occupancy Management. You are welcome to contact them with any questions you may have about the halls or living environments at 303-492-6673 or by visiting the Housing website.

Are the rooms air-conditioned?

Yes. The recent renovation made Baker Hall air-conditioned.

Are the bathrooms co-ed?

No, there are separate bathrooms for men and women, conveniently located in each hallway. All bathrooms have showers.

What public transportation is available near the University?

Both Boulder and Denver are served by the Regional Transportation District (RTD), and several buses stop near the CU-Boulder campus. CU-Boulder also provides Stampede and Buff Bus Shuttles around campus.  All CU-Boulder students ride the RTD and CU buses free with their Buff One cards. More information can be found on the Parking Services website or on the RTD website.

Should I bring a printer?

Many students decide to have a printer in their rooms, but it is not necessary to have your own printer. There is a print station in Baker Hall and others throughout campus. See the Student Printing and Scanning website for further information.

What do the rooms come equipped with?

All Baker dorm rooms have wireless Internet access and a microwave/refrigerator.   A bed, desk, desk chair, bookcase, dresser, closet and study lamp are provided for each occupant.