My research focusses on observations of neutrinos and making measurements of their basic properties.
Neutrinos are elusive subatomic particles that are produced in large numbers in places such as the cores of stars, core-collapse supernovae, and the Big Bang. My research has focussed on making observations of neutrinos, and looking for evidence that neutrinos change from one flavor to another. Studies of neutrino flavor change can yield information about fundamental neutrino properties, such as their masses and mixing angles. While a lot has been learned about neutrinos from natural sources, my current research takes advantage of neutrino beams produced by accelerators. I am currently active in the T2K experiment, which is sending a beam of muon neutrinos across Japan to the Super-Kamiokande detector. T2K has observed the disappearance of muon neutrinos and the appearance of electron neutrinos. I am also involved in the design and planning for a future Long-Baseline Neutrino Experiment (LBNE) in the US which will send a beam of neutrinos from Fermilab to South Dakota.
- K. Abe et al (T2K Collaboration), "Observation of Electron Neutrino Appearance in a Muon Neutrino Beam", Phys.Rev. Lett. 112, 061802 (2014)
- S. Bhadra et al, "Optical Transition Radiation Monitor for the T2K Experiment", Nucl. Instrum. Meth. A 703, 45 (2013)
- K. Abe et al (T2K Collaboration), "Indication of Electron Neutrino Appearance from an Accelerator-produced Off-axis Muon Neutrino Beam", Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 041801 (2011)
- P. Adamson et al (The MINOS Collaboration), "A Study of muon neutrino disappearance using the Fermilab Main Injector neutrino beam", Phys. Rev. D 77, 072002 (2008).
- D.G. Michael et al (The MINOS Collaboration), `"Observation of Muon Neutrino Disappearance with the MINOS Detectors in the NuMI neutrino Beam", Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 191801 (2006).
- S. N. Ahmed et al (The SNO Collaboration), "Measurement of the total active B-8 solar neutrino flux at the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory with enhanced neutral current sensitivity",' Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 181301 (2004).
- Q. R. Ahmad et al (The SNO Collaboration), "Direct Evidence for Neutrino Flavor Transformation from Neutral-Current Interactions in the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory", Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 011301 (2002).