Neurophysiology of Movement Laboratory
Department of Integrative Physiology
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0354
Neuromuscular determinants of motor function (movement) in health and disease. Current projects address three main topics:
- Aging - consequences of age-associated adaptations in neuromuscular properties on manual dexterity and walking endurance.
- Motor unit activity - modulation of discharge characteristics during sustained contractions, exposure to stressors, and variation in physical activity.
- Multiple sclerosis - (a) associations between MRI-based estimates of brain structure and function with symptomatic fatigue; and (b) the capacity of neuromuscular electrical stimulation to restore mobility.
- Director: Roger M. Enoka,
- Graduate Students: Awad Almuklass, M.Sc., Leah Biessenberger, B.A., Robyn Capobianco, M.A., Karim Derqaoui, M.Sc., Jeff Gould, M.S., Landon Hamilton, M.A., Diba Mani, M.S.
- Undergraduate Students: Zachary Arnold, Nicholas Chalmers, Tate Closson-Niese, Alyssa Ferguson,Shannon Knowles, Rachel Pauley, and Dylan Rykowski
- Former Lab Members: Photos of former lab members are available in our gallery
- Collaborators: Ioannis Amiridis, Ph.D., Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Serres, Greece; Marie Banich, Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder; Jacques Duchateau, Ph.D., Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium; Dario Farina, Ph.D., Georg-August University, Germany; Jeff Hebert, P.T., Ph.D., University of Colorado Denver; John Corboy, M.D., University of Colorado Denver; Benzi Kluger, M.D., Univeristy of Colorado Denver; Roberto Merletti, Ph.D., Politecnico di Torino, Italy; Timothy Vollmer, M.D., University of Colorado Denver.
Opportunities for Undergraduates
- The requirements for undergraduate students who want a research experience in our Laboratory are:
- A major in integrative physiology
- Either have completed or be concurrently enrolled in IPHY 4720 (Neurophysiology)
- Obtain UROP funding or enroll in independent study (IPHY 4860) for 8-10 hours/week for at least one semester.
- For more information, contact Karim Derqaoui at (firstname.lastname@example.org)