Behavioral Neuroendocrinology Laboratory
Department of Integrative Physiology
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0354
Our main focus is the neural mechanisms underlying stress-related physiology and emotional behavior with a focus on the role of serotonergic systems. Current projects address four main topics:
- Mechanisms underlying control of acute and chronic anxiety states - with a focus on interactions among corticotropin-releasing factor (CRF), CRF-related neuropeptides, and serotonergic systems.
- Effects of peripheral immune activation on serotonergic systems, physiology, and emotional behavior.
- Effects of thermal signals on serotonergic systems, physiology, and emotional behavior.
- Effects of glucocorticoid hormones on serotonergic systems, physiology, and behavior.
See our detailed Behavioral Neuroendocrinology Laboratory web site for the most up-to-date information about current research and other happenings in the lab.
- Director: Christopher A. Lowry, Ph.D.
- Post-doctoral Fellows: Nina Donner, M.S., Ph.D., James Fox, M.A., Ph.D., Melissa Scotti, Ph.D.
- Graduate Students: Mathew Arnold, B.A., Christopher Baddick, M.Sc., Kathleen Dady, B.A., Lamya'a Dawud, B.A., James Hassell, M.S., Peter Hibl, B.A., Sofia Mani, Evan Paul, B.A., Honors, Philip Siebler, B.A., David Smith, B.A., Christopher Stamper, B. A., Alfredo Zuniga, B.A.
- Professional Research Assistants: Jared Heinze, B.A.
- Undergraduate Students: Christopher Brazell, Brandon Fields, Thomas Gracie, Adam Kapitz, Andrew Lamb, Gerardo Lopez-Perez, Kenneth Lowe, Joey Malzbender, Jessica McArthur, Anthony Quach, Ryan Waters, Taylor Whittier, Piper Williams.
- Volunteers: David Russell, B.A.
- Collaborators: Serge Campeau, Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder; Alon Chen, Ph.D., Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel; Monika Fleshner, Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder; Gina Forster, Ph.D., University of South Dakota; Anders Hay-Schmidt, Ph.D., The Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark; Rogelio Hernandez-Pando, Ph.D., Instituto Nacional de Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico; Stafford Lightman, MBBChir, MB, BChir, PhD(Cantab), FRCP, FMedSci, University of Bristol, UK; Steve Maier, Ph.D., University of Colorado Boulder; Jens Mikkelsen, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark; Miles Orchinik, Ph.D., Arizona State University; Paul Plotsky, Ph.D., Emory University; David Nutt, DM, FRCP, FRCPsych, FMedSci, University of Bristol, UK; Kenneth Renner, Ph.D., University of South Dakota; Graham A.W. Rook, Ph.D., University College London, UK; Anantha Shekhar, M.D., Ph.D., Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis; Cliff Summers, Ph.D., University of South Dakota.
Opportunities for Undergraduates
- We are looking for enthusiastic, motivated undergraduate students who are interested in obtaining research experience.
- Course requirements: none.
- Minimum experience: no prior laboratory research experience required.
- For more information, contact Prof. Christopher Lowry (firstname.lastname@example.org)