Published: April 27, 2017 By

Jocelyne(10 Things I Love About Me is a blog series designed to celebrate our wonderful staff and volunteers at the W. We ask our bloggers to list ten things they love about themselves so that readers can get to know them better!)

1. I love getting ready. The whole process is therapeutic to me because I play my favorite music, put on make-up and get dressed. It's 'me' time. 

2. I love food. I try my best to give my body the nutrients it needs but, of course, I got to have some chicken nuggets and fries every once in a while. And mac-n-cheese too ahaha.

3. I love being the first in my family to go to college. I will be graduating in the spring and I am so excited for this enormous milestone in my life. 

4. I love the communities that encourage and understand my identities. Without them here on campus I know for a fact I would not be graduating. The Pre-Collegiate office, the Women's Resource Center, the Women & Gender studies department, the CUE and McNeill have all been my home away from home and it is here where I have met my closest of friends and mentors. 

5. I love that I am a feminist. Adopting feminism as a political identity has been both challenging and a growing experience. I feel that my degree has given me the tools to understand people and the complicated ways they interact with the world-there is so much beauty in that. 

6. I love learning...but I hate getting tested on material.   

7. I love being Mexican-American, or as Gloria Anzaldua put it, 'ni de aqui ni de alla". Amo mi cultura y my historia.

8. I love poetry. I write about everything! Writing is like food to me because it literally feeds my soul. I hope I challenge myself to go outside my comfort zone and perform it. 

9. I love my femininity. It took me a long time to not see it as a weakness. Thank you to Frida Kahlo, Selena Quintanilla, la Virgencita de Guadalaupe, mi mami and many more strong muxeres that have shown me different forms of strength and power.  

10. I love traveling. I am very fortunate and privileged to have had the opportunity to study abroad in Spain and travel to Portugal and Amsterdam. I learn so much about myself whenever I leave home.