Tuition classification determines if students should have in-state or out-of-state tuition. Your initial tuition classification is determined from information you supply on your application for admission to the university. There is no cap on the amount of tuition and mandatory fees that the VA will pay under the Post 9/11 GI Bill for in-state students at a public institution. Students will have classes that count toward their degree paid for by the Post 9/11 GI Bill at their percentage of eligibility based on in-state tuition rates.


Honorably discharged members of the Armed Forces moving permanently to Colorado qualify for in-state tuition.

Evidence of Domicile

You can establish domicile in Colorado only if you are residing in Colorado with the present intention to reside permanently in the state., Evidence of Colorado domicile includes actions that in your circumstances would normally be expected of, or that would be characteristic of, any permanent resident., For example, vehicle registration is relevant only if you have a motor vehicle., You are expected to take appropriate action on all factors relevant in your circumstances.

Military Members Living in Colorado

To retain domicile during an absence from Colorado due to military orders, military personnel must maintain Colorado as their state of legal residence for tax purposes, and voters must maintain Colorado voter registration.

Military personnel may retain legal residence in their original state, or they may establish a new legal residence in a state in which they reside due to military orders., They may not establish domicile in Colorado while residing elsewhere or while being physically present in the State only on a temporary basis.

Persons domiciled in Colorado for one year who enter active duty military service, and who return permanently to Colorado within 6 months of discharge, and their dependents, qualify for in-state tuition regardless of changes of domicile while on active duty.

Exception to the One-year Domicile Requirement

The following link will list the exceptions to the one-year domicile requirement and whether the individual, a child dependent, or spouse qualifies. Also indicated is whether the exception provides for Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF) eligibility and if the student is eligible for resident financial aid programs. Consult tuition classification staff to apply for these exceptions.

Detailed information on in-state and out-of-state tuition rates

Choice Act, Section 702

CU Boulder is in full compliance with the Choice Act Section 702. Veterans at CU have been eligible for in-state rates for many years based on the criteria above. The Choice Act extends those benefits to dependents on campus. Please consult the VA requirements, for an overview of what is required to receive in-state tuition. You must be using Post 9/11 Chapter 33 benefits or the Fry Scholarship to qualify for this exception. Additionally, students must enroll at CU Boulder within three years of your transferor's discharge from active duty or they must still be on active duty when you begin. Dependents that qualify for this exception will continue to be billed as in-state students as long as they are continuously enrolled (attending every fall and spring semester) even if they are out of transferred benefits.

To verify eligibility, the Office of Veteran Services will need a copy of the transferor's DD-214 if they retired or separated within three years of the student starting school. If they are on active duty, a copy of their current orders must be submitted. Either item accepted as a paper copy, fax or email.

For information on being billed as an in-state resident based on years of elementary and secondary school in the state of Colorado, please contact the Tuition Classification Office.