Military Credit

Credit for military schooling is evaluated upon receipt of Form DD 214, Service Separation Certificate, a Joint Services Transcript (JST) or a transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Only work that has received an upper-division baccalaureate recommendation by the American Council on Education (ACE) can be awarded credit. This work, however, is transferred and recorded at the lower-division level. Foreign language credit taken through the State Department, Department of Defense, or Defense Language Institute is assigned the recommended ACE credit. Applicability toward degree requirements is determined by the dean’s office in the college/school to which you have been admitted. Regardless of whether or not you anticipate receiving credit, these transcripts are required if you plan to use any VA educational benefits for which you are eligible.

Exceptions to recognition of regional accreditation:

  1. Transferability is based on the practices of the leading university, as reported to AACRAO, in the state where the institution is located.
  2. CU-Boulder will make the decision on transferability based on the above criteria for institutions within the state of Colorado.
  3. For Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, College Level Examination Program, or Military Credit refer to the detailed criteria stated in the corresponding sections.

For more information, please refer to CU-Boulder's Transfer Credit Policy.

Transfer Credit

Once you've been admitted, the Office of Admissions will perform an initial evaluation of your transfer credit. The final determination of how your transfer credits are applied toward degree requirements will be made at orientation by the dean's office in the college or school to which you've been admitted.

Course work of comparable content and scope to the CU-Boulder curriculum will generally be transferred  if it was completed at colleges or universities accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, or other regional associations at the time the work was completed.  For international colleges or universities, the international equivalent of regional accreditation or Ministry of Education recognition will be considered.

For more information, please refer to CU-Boulder's Transfer Credit Policy.