If you can't find the information you're looking for below, contact us at urop@colorado.edu.

Who can serve as a faculty mentor?

Tenured/tenure-track, research faculty and contract instructors at the University of Colorado Boulder are eligible to mentor Student Grants and apply for all Faculty Grants.

All students grants must be supervised by an eligible faculty mentor.  Graduate students or post-docs may serve in a supervisory role, but the faculty mentor must provide some direct mentoring to the undergraduate.

How do I find a faculty mentor?

Refer to UROP's guide to "Finding a Faculty Mentor" for help.

How should I contact potential faculty mentors?

Refer to UROP's guide to "Connecting with Faculty" for help.

Can I get funding for my Honors thesis?

Yes. UROP Grants are not intended to support "general" coursework, even if it is research/inquiry-based, but funding may support students doing research or creative projects outside the classroom while they’re enrolled in Independent Study/Honors Thesis courses with section numbers in the 800-900s.

Does UROP count as a financial aid award?

No. UROP Grants are classified as fellowships and paid through the university payroll system but do not count as financial aid or create an employer-employee relationship with the university.  Please consult with a financial aid counselor or financial advisor on how to report UROP income for future FAFSA or financial aid applications. 

How do I apply for both Summer and Academic Year Grants if I'm planning to continue the same project all year?

Students are allowed to submit proposals for continuing projects that extend beyond the grant term, but all proposals should come to a distinct, if not final, conclusion by the end of the term.  Students submitting proposals for continuing projects spanning more than one grant term should clearly state end points in each proposal.  Applications with proposals for continuing projects are evaluated and awarded independently.

Can I get more than one UROP grant at the same time, for two different projects?

No. Students may apply for more than one grant type and/or grant term, but can only accept one grant per term, which means consecutive funding is acceptable and concurrent funding is not allowed. There is currently no limit on the total number of UROP grants a student may receive as an undergraduate at CU Boulder. Students may apply by submitting similar proposals for different grant terms but should ensure proposal timelines are appropriate for the term. Students may not receive concurrent funding from CU Boulder's Biological Sciences Initiative (BSI) but may withdraw accepted UROP grants to participate in BSI.

Do you have to have a certain GPA or be in a certain major to participate in UROP?

No. There is no minimum GPA requirement to receive UROP funding.

I won't be able to finish my UROP project by the completion date. What should I do?

Contact UROP as early as possible if you don't think you will meet the completion date.

Will my application be reviewed if I turn in my part of the application by the deadline but my mentor misses the deadline?

No. Only completed applications will be reviewed.  Please make arrangements to get all of the sections of the application submitted on time.

Am I eligible for funding if I'm not a documented US citizen?

The University of Colorado Boulder and UROP value ASSET and DACA students, and we remain committed to ensuring access to funding for these students.  ASSET and DACA students awarded UROP grants, will be contacted to coordinate a payment method appropriate for their status.

Can I get UROP funding to present at a conference or exhibit/perform my creative work?

No. Students should apply for a Professional and Academic Conference Endowment (PACE) Grant to attend a conference or exhibit/perform their creative work.

Can I get funding to teach, perform, or implement a service project abroad or off-campus?

No. UROP funds are for faculty-mentored academic research, scholarly or creative projects only.

If my project is not eligible for UROP funds, where else can I look for funding sources?

There are opportunities for research and development outside of UROP and the Boulder campus. Check out the Other Funding page for more.

What should I do if my project involves human subjects?

Refer to UROP's guidelines for working with human subjects.

What should I do if my project involves animal subjects?

Refer to UROP's guideliens for working with animal subjects.

What should I do if my project involves international travel?
What should I do if I'm working on NSF or NIH-funded projects?

Refer to UROP's guidelines for working on NSF and/or NIH-funded work.

Can I see examples of past projects?

Explore the UROP Student Grant Directory for information about recently-funded projects.

How does a faculty member sign-up to review UROP proposals?

Faculty can learn about the review process and sign-up to evaluate proposals on the UROP Review Board page.

How do I nominate my mentor for a UROP Faculty Mentor Award?

Students can learn about the nomination process on the Faculty Mentor Award page.

How is UROP Student Grant funding paid?

Refer to the award payment page for information about the process.

How do I setup and/or update my direct deposit and mailing address information?

Refer to the direct deposit and mailing address page for instructions.

Does receiving UROP funding make me an employee of CU Boulder?

No. Student stipends offered by the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) are fellowships/stipends and are not employee compensation. 

UROP provides for students who do research and creative work an enhancement to their undergraduate education.  Although UROP stipend payments are administrated through the university’s payroll office (Employee Services), they are not considered payroll wages. 

Payments to recipients who are U.S. citizens and resident aliens are not subject to federal and state income tax withholding and payroll taxes (i.e., FICA and Medicare taxes). Additionally, the university has no tax reporting requirement for these payments (no W-2), however UROP recipients should be aware that these payments may be taxable income and should consult with their tax advisors. 

Nonresident aliens are subject to federal income tax withholding; thus, should schedule an appointment with a university International Tax Specialist.  The university is required to report the payments on the federal form 1042-S. UROP advises recipients to keep award letters for their records. See IRS Publication 970 for guidance regarding fellowships.