We completed three projects on the second floor that have addressed a variety of needs identified by CU students and the UMC Board:
- Over winter break 2015, we converted the restrooms between UMC 245 and 247 to an all-gender restroom. Read more about the project in ACUI’s The Bulletin.
- We renovated the southwest wing of the UMC, creating of a space for underrepresented students to meet, collaborate and build community. This is the new Student Engagement & Collaboration Area.
- The Veterans Lounge has been expanded to provide space for exhibits, artifacts from USS Colorado ships and plaques honoring those who lost their lives in wars and conflicts.
- In December 2014, CUSG created a new office to support student involvement through student organizations, leadership opportunities and weekly activities and events. This new office is the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) and it officially “opened” on July 1, 2015.
- In March 2016, we transformed the UMC’s third floor northwest wing into the office and resource area for CSI. The space (UMC 300) includes a Resource Center for student organizations to access supplies for event planning, a lounge area for collaborative work and meetings, lockers for student groups to store their materials and historical records, the Greek Life Office, space for CU GOLD and staff offices. Read more about the CSI renovation on pages 7-8 of ACUI’s Renovation & Construction Showcase.
Note: If you are looking for staff, resources and activities from either the Student Involvement office or the Student Organizations Finance Office (SOFO), that these two offices were combined to form CSI.
The Volunteer Resource Center is now located on the fourth floor in UMC rooms 444, 446, 456 and 458. This group of offices provides the growing Volunteer Resource Center, with needed space for student trainings and workshops. Be sure to stop by their new space and get involved with some amazing volunteer opportunities!