About the UMC Ballroom
In 1953, after a statewide fundraising campaign, the University Memorial Center opened with a ballroom that would come to host dances, student orientation, weddings, conferences, speakers and performers, including B.B. King, Del Shannon, Zephyr and even the Glenn Miller Orchestra.
On September 19, 1953, the “Glenn Miller Ballroom” was dedicated by then student government president Charles Seashore. Glenn Miller’s mother and sister attended the dedication in honor of Glenn. Glenn was a CU-Boulder student who left to pursue his musical talents. He also served in the United States Army during WWII.
More than 60 years later, the Glenn Miller Ballroom is ready for an update to bring it into the 21st Century with a new look, sound system and other features that will support its multiple uses.
There are many days throughout the year when the UMC staff routinely sets up, or “turns,” the ballroom twice a day for different uses, and sometimes up to three times a day in order to accommodate the variety of student and campus demands.
As the largest facility of its kind in Boulder, the UMC is proud of the renovation of the Glenn Miller Ballroom and the adjacent catering kitchen, now transformed into a beautiful, modern and more efficient facility.
It was a busy eight months. We hope you are as excited as we are about the outcome.