Aerial photo of CU Boulder campus

Those wishing to film or photograph on CU Boulder's campus are required to fill out an application for an external filming and photography permit. News Media do not need a permit to film on campus. Please reach out to with questions. The information below contains our standard film and photography policies, please read thoroughly before submitting a permit application.

Download Film Guidelines Apply for Photography, Motion Picture, Video and Television Permit

Strategic Relations and Communications is responsible for managing and processing motion picture, video production and still photography requests by qualified production companies to work on the CU Boulder campus and associated properties. Please download and read the film, television and photography guidelines before contacting Strategic Relations and Communications. 

Please note that the University does not endorse social life or lifestyle reality television nor productions featuring violence, discrimination of any kind, sexual situations, drug or alcohol use. Nor do we allow the use of the University’s name in advertising to endorse products or companies without the president’s approval.

This requirement does not apply to photo or video shoots on behalf of departments or other CU Boulder units, or local television or national networks covering daily news stories. Notification that a reporter and/or production crew is coming to the campus is appreciated. If there are questions or assistance is needed please contact our office. You will be required to submit a film permit application and sign a location agreement

Contact Media Relations
Call us at 303-735-0122 or email Find more resources for the media on our For Media page.