Published: Sept. 5, 2019

CU Boulder recently launched a new grade replacement policy, which began with Fall 2019 course registration. Under this policy, degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students may retake a course in which they earned a low grade in an attempt to improve their cumulative GPAs.

How does grade replacement work?

If you retake a course for grade replacement, your original grade will still appear on your transcript, but your cumulative GPA and cumulative credit totals on your transcript will only include the grade from your most recent attempt.

How do I request grade replacement?

To retake a course for the purpose of grade replacement, you’ll need to first register for the class. Then submit the grade replacement request form by the grade replacement request deadline for the semester/session in which the class is being offered. (The grade replacement request deadline for Fall 2019 classes is Sept. 13.)

After reviewing your grade replacement request for eligibility, the Office of the Registrar will notify you whether your request was approved or denied.

Can I still repeat a course without grade replacement?

Yes, you can repeat courses at any point in your academic career without pursuing grade replacement. If you do, then the grade and credits you earn in each attempt are included in your student credit and GPA totals and calculations on your official academic record. Some academic programs have limits on the number of course repeats allowed for specific courses.

What courses are eligible for grade replacement?

Learn more about the policy, including what courses and grades are eligible for grade replacement, and what steps to take if you’d like to pursue grade replacement.