For fall 2018 admission (classes begin Monday, August 27, 2018)
- Deadline for all applicants: December 1, 2017
For spring 2019 admission
- The Department of Theatre & Dance does not accept applications for spring admission.
To be evaluated for admission, the applicant must submit the items in the checklist below via the online application by the deadlines above. Incomplete applications cannot be guaranteed review. Applicants should monitor the completion of their applications on the admissions portal.
Completed applications are reviewed by members of the Graduate Faculty in February. Their recommendations for admission are forwarded to the Graduate School of the University for final approval. The Department will send email notification of our admission decisions to each applicant, usually by the beginning of March. Students will be notified at that time if any support has been awarded by the Department. Once the Graduate School determines that all requirements have been met it will confirm admission to each applicant by email.
Checklist for All Applicants
- Have an undergraduate GPA of at least 2.75.
- Submit the online Application for Graduate Admission, including the $60 application fee paid via credit card ($80 for international applicants)
- Submit a 1-5 page personal statement. Please outline your preparation and experience. In addition, please discuss your academic and professional goals. The personal statement is uploaded in the Personal Statement section of the online application.
- Submit a CV or theatre resume showing evidence of theatre performance, and/or production experience. The CV/resume is uploaded in the Employment History section of the online application.
- Submit one 10-20 page sample of critical writing (plays and other kinds of creative writing are not accepted). The writing sample is uploaded in the Writing Sample section of the online application. UPDATE: if for some reason you do not see the Writing Sample section, please upload it as one of the documents in the Personal Statement section.
- Submit one transcript from each institution of higher education attended. You may upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s).
- Transcripts are uploaded in the Academic History section of the online application. Scroll down to the bottom of the "Add Institution" or "Edit Institution" window to find the "Submit Transcript" section.
- The University of Colorado Boulder requires one unofficial transcript from each undergraduate and graduate institution that you attended. This includes community colleges, summer sessions, and extension programs. While credits from one institution may appear on the transcript of a second institution, unofficial transcripts must be submitted from each institution, regardless of the length of attendance, and whether or not courses were completed.
- Failure to list and submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended is considered to be a violation of academic ethics and may result in the cancellation of your admission or dismissal from the university.
- ONLY after you are recommended for admission will you be asked to provide official transcripts.
- Instructions for Uploading Unofficial Transcripts to Your Application
- Submit three or more letters of recommendation.
- We prefer that your recommenders upload their letters directly to your application.
- Within the online application you will be asked to supply the names of your recommenders as well as their email addresses. You may submit up to four names.
- Once you click the "send to recommender" button, your recommenders will receive an email with a link for them to upload their letter and complete the Graduate Recommendation Form. Please notify your recommenders ahead of time that they will receive an email from the University of Colorado. Note: you do not need to submit your application for the emails to be sent to your recommenders.
- If you would like to submit more than four letters of recommendation you may instruct the additional recommenders to email their letter and a completed Graduate Recommendation Form to the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your recommenders experience difficulty submitting online they may email their letter, and a completed Graduate Recommendation Form, to the to the Admissions Office at email@example.com.
- Please let your recommenders know that their letters are due by December 8, 2017.
- Submit GRE verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing scores (taken in the last 5 years)
International Applicants must submit the above, plus the following:
- Financial Statement for International Applicants
- TOEFL scores (minimum TOEFL score is 550)
International applicants should please visit the International Applicants page of the Graduate Admissions website for more information.
Requirements for English proficiency can be found on the English Proficiency Requirements webpage. This page includes minimum test scores, countries excepted from submitting test scores, and alternate methods of meeting the proficiency requirement.
For additional information about the application process please visit the Graduate Admissions website. The FAQ page is particularly helpful.
If you have questions about your application or the process, please don't hesitate to call or email the Graduate Program Assistant, Patricia Paige: firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-492-7356.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the online application please contact GRADUATE ADMISSIONS directly.