If you can't find the information you're looking for below, contact us at urop@colorado.edu.

Tenure-track and full-time instructors, including faculty from the University of Colorado Anschutz and Denver campuses, are eligible to be mentors.   Graduate students or post-docs may serve in a supervisory role, but the faculty mentor must provide some direct mentoring to the undergraduate.

YES | UROP Grants are not intended to support "general" coursework, even if it is research/inquiry-based, but funding may support students doing research or creative projects outside the classroom while they’re enrolled in Independent Study/Honors Thesis courses with section numbers in the 800-900s.

You may apply for and receive BOTH Summer and Academic Year Grants if you submit separate applications with clear, phased endpoints in both proposals that can be part of a larger project but does not just carry over work from another award period.

NO | UROP Grants are classified as fellowships and paid through the university payroll system but do not count as financial aid or create an employer-employee relationship with the university.  Please consult with a financial aid counselor or financial advisor on how to report UROP income for future FAFSA or financial aid applications. 

NO | Students may apply for more than one grant type and/or term, but can only accept one award per term--that is, consecutive funding is acceptable whereas concurrent funding is not, and students may not receive concurrent funding from CU Boulder's Biological Sciences Initiative (BSI). There is currently no limit on the total number of UROP Grants a student may receive.  

NO | There is no minimum GPA requirement to receive UROP funding.

Contact UROP as early as possible if you don't think you will meet the completion date.

NO | Only completed applications will be reviewed.  Please make arrangements to get all of the sections of the application submitted on time.

Consult UROP to discuss your particular situation.  “Nonresident Aliens” eligible for UROP funding may be subject to different tax rules.

NO | Students should apply for a Professional and Academic Conference Endowment (PACE) Grant to attend a conference or exhibit/perform their creative work.

NO |  UROP funds are for faculty-mentored academic research, scholarly or creative projects only.

There are opportunities for research and development outside of UROP and the Boulder campus. Check out the Other Funding page for more.