Welcome to oSTEM @ CU Boulder's Fall 2020 Events Page!
Looking for ways to meet other LGBTQ+ CU students? Interested in learning more about staff, faculty, and postdocs at CU in STEM with LGBTQ+ experiences and who advocate for LGBTQ+ students? Want to know more about LGBTQ+ experiences in STEM industry in the Colorado area? Want an awesome oSTEM @ CU Sticker? Then our event offerings are for you! Read below for more details.
All our Zoom events are open to all CU Boulder community members. All genders, sexualities, and majors welcome. You must have a Zoom account associated with colorado.edu email to join our Zoom events.
Looking for Weekly Meetings? Our events are in addition to our weekly meetings. You must join the oSTEM @ CU Boulder Discord to get access to weekly meeting links. Visit our Become a Member page to learn how to join the Discord and for more information about weekly meetings.
Get a Free oSTEM @ CU Boulder Logo Sticker + More!
We want to make you feel a part of oSTEM @ CU Boulder, even when we are all physically distancing. If you sign up on the form below, you'll receive an oSTEM @ CU Boulder logo sticker as well as a formal invitation to our Out in STEM Symposium and our Dr. Evelyn Hooker Award Ceremony in the mail. You can sign up anytime; however, if you would like a paper invitation, please sign up by Oct 15th so we can make sure to send out the invitation in time. We are hoping to send out the first round of stickers by Oct 1st! Email any concerns or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org .
We will only send you mail during the Fall 2020 semester for the reasons above. If we continue this into the Spring, you will need to sign up again. Also, you can put in any mailing address (it can be sent to your friend's place, for example). The only entry that must be unique is your CU Boulder email. If you want to recieve several stickers to give one to a friend, email us at email@example.com after filling out the form below.
NOTE: There is no need to sign up if you want to attend our events. This is just to get a sticker + oSTEM @ CU Event related swag!
Event ZOOM LINKS:
Zoom Links will be posted here on the day of the event. Please be sure to visit this URL then for access (the text will be hyperlinked).
- LGBTQ+ in STEM Community Day PASSWORD: LGBTQSTEM
- Out in STEM Symposium
- Dr. Evelyn Hooker Award Ceremony
- We will not be recording oSTEM @ CU Zoom events. This is to respect the privacy of our members and allow a safe space for folks to feel comfortable trying new names and pronouns. Please follow suit by not taking any screenshots or recordings of these events. We will post links that you might be intersted in on the Zoom chat and we can also provide some information, such as slides, after the event on request.
- We prefer that you use our Discord server for chats during the event rather than the Zoom chat. Sometimes, information, like important links, can get lost in the Zoom chat. We will offer a link to join our oSTEM server on Discord at the start of all our events.
- It is helpful, but not required, to turn your camera on if you want to speak.
- We do not assume the names and pronouns of participants; we will always allow you to introduce yourself first. It is helpful, however, to make sure your Zoom name has your preffered name and preffered pronouns.
- Please use common sense when participating, i.e mute yourself when there is a loud noise in your vicinity, wear clothes to the Zoom events, be courteous of others.
Sept. 12th, 2020 @ 12 PM: LGBTQ+ in STEM Community Day!
We are excited to bring you our first LGBTQ+ in STEM Community Day! We are hosting a LGBTQ+ in Science Fiction Contest at the beginning of the semester. During the Community Day, actors from CU's Theatre Dept will dramatically read the winning entries over Zoom.
- 12 PM: Introductions from your oSTEM @ CU Board
- 12:15 PM: Special Guest Dr. Meredith Betterton, Professor of Physics at CU Boulder
- 12: 45 PM: Group Discussions (Moderated by oSTEM Volunteers) : What is it like to be LGBTQ+ in STEM? How can other STEM students be better allies?
- 1:15 PM: Sci-Fi Contest Announcements and Readings!
- 2:15 PM: Continuation of Group Discussions
Want to explore what other CU Boulder STEM thinkers had to say about the intersections between LGBTQ+ experience and STEM? Browse our interviews here.
Nov. 7th, 2020 @ 12 PM: Out in STEM Symposium (formerly Queer in STEM Symposium, date updated on 9/5)
Our own annual symposium is back! Join us for an afternoon full of presentations from LGBTQ+ STEM thinkers in the CU Boulder Community and the Front Range!
Want to submit a talk or remote workshop? The submission form will go live soon!
Nov. 10th, 2020 @ 5 PM: Dr. Evelyn Hooker Advocacy Award Ceremony
Every year, oSTEM @ the University of Colorado, Boulder awards a CU Boulder faculty member for their advocacy of LGBTQ+ students. It is a student nominated award; undergraduates and graduate students are welcome to nominate someone here.