Published: Feb. 12, 2020
Sam Brumbach

Where are you placed this year?

I am at Elks Hearing and Balance Center in Boise Idaho, it is part of Idaho's St. Luke's health care system

Describe your "typical" day (or lack of "typical" day)

My clinic schedule changes on a daily basis. I have two primary preceptors that I am in clinic with 3.5 days a week, between these two preceptors I work with pediatric and adult cochlear implants, osseointegrated devices, central auditory processing and pediatric diagnostics (ABR, behavioral) and amplification. Then I work with adult audiologists 1.5 days a week and I do adult hearing aids and vestibular. I know this isn't the standard fourth year rotation where you typically do a chunk of a rotation and then switch to another rotation ie doing pediatric diagnostics for two months and then switching to vestibular for two months. This system has it's pros and cons. A pro is that I feel like I won't lose any skills and I have all year to work on them but a con is I feel like I'm learning at a slower pace since it is less intensive.  I also spend a good deal of time running our adult hearing aid charitable care program. We work with a charitable volunteer organization that provides one free hearing aid for adults who qualify and I do all the administrative work, testing and fitting for these individuals.

What's something important that you've learned at your placement so far?

Don't be afraid to ask questions and give your opinion on a case! All of my preceptors really appreciate when I ask questions and they also value my views and thoughts on a clinical situation.