Jeff is a Soil Scientist with the USDA Agricultural Research Service in Las Cruces, NM. He has published widely on a variety of topics including rangeland soil health, restoration, simple tools for rangeland soil and vegetation monitoring, soil health, and strategies for applying resilience to management. He serves as an external member of the BLM’s National Science Committee, is a member of the International Resource Panel and serves as the US science representative to the UNCCD. Jeff led the development of the nationally (US) applied rangeland monitoring protocols, and co-led the development of the national rangeland assessment system, both of which have been adapted for use in a number of other countries. He currently leads development of the global Land-Potential Knowledge System (LandPKS), a mobile app for land use planning and management.
- 1993: PhD, Agronomy, Ohio State University
- 1987: Diploma in Agricultural Science, Lincoln College (New Zealand - Fulbright)
- 1985: BA in Biology with Distinction, Swarthmore College
- Peters, D.P.C., G.S. Okin, J.E. Herrick, H.M. Savoy, J.P. Anderson, S.L.P. Scroggs, and J. Zhang.2020. Modifying connectivity to promote state change reversal: the importance of geomorphiccontext and plant–soil feedbacks. Ecology. https://esajournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/ecy.3069
- Kimiti, D. W., A.C. Ganguli, J.E. Herrick, J.W. Karl and D.W. Bailey. 2020. A Decision Support System for Incorporating Land Potential Information in the Evaluation of Restoration Outcomes Restoration Ecology 38: 94-104.
- Kimiti, D. W., A.C. Ganguli, J.E. Herrick, and D.W. Bailey. 2020. Evaluation of RestorationSuccess to Inform Future Restoration Efforts in Acacia reficiens Invaded Rangelands in Northen Kenya Restoration Ecology 38: 105-113.
- Quandt, A. J.E. Herrick, G. Peacock, S. Salley, A. Buni, C.C. Mkalawa, and J. Neff. In press. A standardized land capability classification system for land evaluation using mobile phone technology. Journal of Soil and Water Conservatio
- Quandt, A., J. Salerno, J. Neff, J. Hartter, T. Baird, J. Herrick, T. McCabe, and E. Xu. Mobile phone use is associated with higher smallholder agricultural productivity in Tanzania, East Africa. Accepted. PLOS One.
- Herrick, J.E., P. Shaver, D.A. Pyke, M. Pellant, D. Toledo, and N. Lepak. 2019. A strategy for defining the reference for land health and degradation assessments. Ecological Indicators 97: 225-230.
- Browning, D., K.A. Snyder and J.E. Herrick. 2019. Plant phenology: Taking the pulse of rangelands. Rangelands XX: XX-XX
- Herrick, J.E., J. Neff, A. Quandt, S. Salley, J. Maynard, A. Ganguli, B. Bestelmeyer. 2019. Prioritizing land for investments based on short- and long-term land potential and degradation ris A strategic approach. Environmental Science and Policy 96: 52-58.
- Webb, N., E. Kachergis, S. Miller, S. McCord, B. Bestelmeyer, J. Brown, A. Chappell, B. Edwards J. Herrick, J. Karl, J. Leys, L. Metz, S. Smarik, J. Tatarko, J. Van Zee, G. Zwicke. 2019. Indicators and benchmarks for wind erosion monitoring, assessment and management. Ecological Indicators. https://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S1470160X19308763
- Fan, Z., S.A. Wills , J.E. Herrick, T.W. Nauman, C.W. Brungard , D.E. Beaudette , M.R. Levi, A.T. O’Geen. 2018. Approaches for improving field soil identification. Soil Science Society of America Journal.
- Galloza, M., Webb, N.P., M. Bleiweiss, C. Winters, J.E. Herrick, , E. Ayers. 2018. Exploring dust emission responses to land cover change using an ecological land classification. Aeolian Research 32: 141–153.
- Duniway, M., M. Petrie, D. Peters, J. Anderson, K. Crossland and J. Herrick. 2018. Soil water dynamics at 15 locations distributed across a desert landscape: Insights
- Johnson, M.V.V., J. Strickland and J.E. Herrick. 2018. Making a difference: ecology careers in federal agencies. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 16: 361-362. doi:10.1002/fee.1926.
- Turner, B.L., M. Wuellner, D.D. Malo, J.E. Herrick, B. Dunn and R. Gates. 2018. Ecosystem functions in mixed grassland-cropland systems influenced by soil legacies of crop cultivation decisions. Ecosphere.
- Salley, S.W., J.E. Herrick, C.V. Holmes, J.W. Karl, M.R. Levi, S.E. McCord, C. van der Waal and J.W. Van Zee. 2018. A Comparison of Soil Texture-by-Feel Estimates: Implications for the Citizen Soil Scientist. SSSAJ 82: 1526-1537. http://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2018.04.013
- Kimiti, D.W., A.C. Hodge, J.E. Herrick, A.W. Beh and L.E. Abbott. 2017. Rehabilitation community owned, mixed use rangelands: Lessons from the Ewaso ecosystem in Kenya. Plan Ecology 28: 23-37 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11258-016-0691-
- Herrick, J.E., J.W. Karl, S.E. McCord, M. Buenemann, C. Riginos, A. Ganguli, J. Angerer, J. Brown, D. Kimiti, R. Saltzman, A. Beh and B. Bestelmeyer. 2017. Two New Mobile Apps fo Rangeland Inventory and Monitoring by Landowners and Land Managers Rangelands. Rangelands 39(2): 46-55. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.rala.2016.12.003
- Faist, A., J.E. Herrick, J. Belnap, J.W. Van Zee and N.N. Barger. 2017. Biological soil crust an disturbance controls on surface hydrology in a semi-arid ecosystem. Ecosphere : 8:3.
- Liebig, M., J.E. Herrick, D.W. Archer, J. Dobrowolski, S. Duiker, A. Franzluebbers, J.R. Hendrickson, R. Mitchell, A. Mohamed, J. Russell, and T. Strickland. 2017. Aligning Land Use with Land Potential: The Role of Integrated Agriculture. Agricultural & Environmental Letters. 2:170007. doi:10.2134/ael2017.03.0007
- Webb NP, Van Zee JW, Karl, JW, Herrick JE, Courtright EM, Billings BJ, Boyd R, Chappell A, Duniway MC, Derner JD, Hand, JK, Kachergis E, McCord SE, Newingham BA, Pierson FB, Steiner JL, Tatarko J, Tedela NH, Toledo D, Van Pelt RS. 2017. Enhancing wind erosion monitoring and assessment for US rangelands. Rangelands. doi:10.1016/j.rala.2017.04.001 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0190052817300160
- Fan, Z., Herrick, J.E., Saltzman, R., Matteis, C., Yudina, A., Nocella, N., Crawford, E., Parker, R. and Van Zee, J., 2017. Measurement of Soil Color: A Comparison Between Smartphone Camera and the Munsell Color Charts. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 81(5), pp.1139-1146.
- Webb, N.P., N.A. Marshall, L.C. Stringer, M.S. Reed, A. Chappell and J.E. Herrick. 2017. Land degradation and climate change: opportunities for building climate resilience in agriculture. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 15: 450-459.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Reports and Technical Manuals
- International Resource Panel. 2019. Land Restoration for Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals: An International Resource Panel Think Piece. Herrick, J.E., Abrahamse, T., Abhilash, P.C., Ali, S., Alvarez-Torres, P., Barau, A.S., Branquinho, C., Chhatre, A., Chotte, J.L., Cowie, A.L., Davis, K.F., Edrisi, S.A., Fenessy, S., Fletcher, S., Flores-Díaz, A.C., Franco, I.B., Ganguli, A.C., Ifejika Speranza, C., Kamar M.J., Kaudia, A.A., Kimiti, D.W., Luz, A.C., Matos, P., Metternicht, G., Neff, J., Nunes, A., Olaniyi, A.O., Pinho, P., Primmer, E., Quandt, A., Sarkar, P., Scherr, S.J., Singh, A., Sudoi, V., von Maltitz, G.P., Wertz, L., Zeleke, G. A think piece of the International Resource Panel. United Nations Environment Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
- International Resource Panel. 2016. Unlocking the Sustainable Potential of Land Resources: Evaluation Systems, Strategies and Tools. A Report of the Working Group on Land and Soils Herrick, J.E., O. Arnalds, B. Bestelmeyer, S. Bringezu, G. Han, M.V. Johnson, D. Kimiti, Yihe Lu, L. Montanarella, W. Pengue, G. Toth, J. Tukahirwa, M. Velayutham, L. Zhang. 89pp. http://www.resourcepanel.org/reports/unlocking-sustainable-potential-land-resources
- UNEP International Resource Panel. 2016. Options for decoupling economic growth from water use and water pollution. Report of the International Resource Panel Working Group on Sustainable Water Management: K.C. Urama, P. K. Bjørnsen, N. Riegels, K. Vairavamoorthy, J. Herrick, L. Kauppi, J.A. McNeely, J. McGlade, E. Eboh, M. Smith, E. Nti Acheampong, W. Pengue, A.B. Siriban-Manalag, and M. Swilling.
- UNEP. 2014. Assessing Global Land Use: Balancing Consumption with Sustainable Supply. A Report of the Working Group on Land and Soils of the International Resource Panel. Bringezu S., Schütz H., Pengue W., O´Brien M., Garcia F., Sims R., Howarth R., Kauppi L., Swilling M., and Herrick J.
For a complete listing of peer-reviewed books, book chapters, reports, and technical manuals, please see the attached CV.