Skype - Hauffplatais
Gunars Platais is a Fellow at the Sustainability Innovation Lab at Colorado (SILC). He joins SILC after 20+ years at the World Bank where he focused on environmental and natural resources economics and environmental risk management. He led multidisciplinary teams in lending operations and analytical work and specialized in the integration of natural resource management and conservation in policy and decision-making processes. Interested in innovative financial instruments, he has been instrumental in introducing concepts such as Payment for Environmental Services (PES) at an operational level in developing countries. He has worked extensively throughout Latin America and provided cross-support to Bank teams in Asia, Africa and Europe. As a fully accredited environmental risk management specialist he worked on the application of environmental safeguards throughout multiple sectors mainly in Latin America. Fluent in several languages he has a degree in Forest Engineering from his native Brazil, a MSc from Colorado State University in mathematical optimization of natural resources management and a PhD from the University of California at Berkeley in Wildland Resource Science where he focused on Natural Resource Economics and Policy.
- 1992 - Ph.D. Natural Resource Economics & Policy, University of California, Berkeley
- 1989 - MS Natural Resources Management and Policy, Colorado State University
- 1982 - BS Forest Engineering, Universidade Federal Rural do Rio de Janeiro
- Sandhu, Harpinder & Müller, Alexander & Sukhdev, Pavan & Merrigan, Kathleen & Tenkouano, Abdou & Kumar, Pushpam & Hussain, Salman & Zhang, Wei & Pengue, Walter & Gemmill-Herren, Barbara & Hamm, Michael & der Pahlen, Maria & Obst, Carl & Sharma, Kavita & Gundimeda, Haripriya & Markandya, Anil & May, Peter & Platais, Gunars & Weigelt, Jes. (2019). The future of agriculture and food: Evaluating the holistic costs and benefits. The Anthropocene Review. 6. 205301961987280. 10.1177/2053019619872808.
- Pagiola, Stefano & Platais, Gunars & Sossai, Marcos. (2018). Protecting Natural Water Infrastructure in Espírito Santo, Brazil. 5. 1850027-1 to 24. 10.1142/S2382624X18500273.
- May, PH & Platais, Gunars & Di Gregorio, Monica & Gowdy, J & Pinto, LFG & Laurans, Yann & Cervone, COFO & Rankovic, AA & Santamaria, M. (2018). The TEEBAgriFood theory of change: from information to action.
- Benini, Rubens & Sossai, Marcos & Junior, José & Silva, Thiago & Platais, Gunars. (2015). Reflorestar Program: large-scale restoration strategy in Espírito Santo, Brazil.
- Pagiola, Stefano & Arcenas, Agustin & Platais, Gunars. (2005). Can Payments for Environmental Services Help Reduce Poverty? An Exploration of the Issues and the Evidence To Date from Latin America. World Development. 33. 237-253. 10.1016/j.worlddev.2004.07.011.
- Platais, Gunars & Guapyassú, Maísa & Lima, Jorge. (2004). Restoration practices in Brazil’s Atlantic Rain Forest. 10.1201/9780203497784.ch27.
- Pagiola, Stefano & Arcenas, Agustin & Platais, Gunars. (2003). Ensuring that the poor benefit from Payments for Environmental Services.
- Pagiola, Stefano & Platais, Gunars. (2002). Pagos por Servicios Ambientales.
- Pagiola, Stefano & Platais, Gunars. (2002). Innovative Financing for Conservation.
- Whitten, Tony & Castro, Gonzalo & MacKinnon, Kathy & Platais, Gunars. (2001). The World Bank and biodiversity conservation. Oryx. 35. 10.1046/j.1365-3008.2001.0208h.x.
- Entwistle, Abigail & Appleton, Mike & Karpowicz, Zbig & Magin, Georgina & McKenna, Sheila & Rylands, Anthony & Adams, Jonathan & Whitten, Tony & Castro, Gonzalo & MacKinnon, Kathy & Platais, Gunars. (2001). Conservation News. Oryx. 35. 10.1046/j.1365-3008.2001.0208b.x.
- Entwistle, Abigail & Appleton, Mike & Karpowicz, Zbig & Magin, Georgina & McKenna, Sheila & Rylands, Anthony & Adams, Jonathan & Whitten, Tony & Castro, Gonzalo & MacKinnon, Kathy & Platais, Gunars. (2001). Conservation News. Oryx. 35. 353. 10.1017/S0030605300032130.
- Platais, Gunars & Betters, D.. (1989). A computer model for economic evaluation and sensitivity analysis of short rotation coppice plantations application to eucalyptus. Rev. Arvore. 13. 210-215.